• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chivalry vs Equal Rights

Chivalry or Equal Rights

• Chivalry

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Equal Rights

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
I believe in equal rights and I don't understand how that has any conflict with chivalry.I do things like opening doors,helping carrying things or helping anyone( man,woman,child or animals for that matter) out of courtesy & respect ,to me its it's being helpful to my fellow human being.
I do have an adult female friend which doesn't want anyone opening doors for her,to her it made her feel inferior or something like that,so I said that was in no way my intent,I extend that courtesy to everyone but I would respect her wishes with no problem and let it drop.As time went on we talked and it became clear she just wanted to be accepted as an equal,like one of the guys and on the other hand she also realized by being helpful & courtesy to everyone is about respect and not about anything else.I didn't allow it to change me,she can accept me for who I am or not,the choice is theirs!

Upvote 0
equal rights entails fair treatment in pay, status etc...there are some stuff women dont get equal rights to for example, i can ground and pound a dude until he is in the emergency room but if i do that to a woman all hell would break loose.

I open the door for my wife still and do things for her. So chivalry and equal rights arent on either end of the spectrum.

Every woman wants to be treated fairly like "one of the boys" but everyone woman still want to be treated like a princess and every man wanted a damsel to save. :)

Upvote 0
I believe in equal rights and I don't understand how that has any conflict with chivalry.I do things like opening doors,helping carrying things or helping anyone( man,woman,child or animals for that matter) out of courtesy & respect ,to me its it's being helpful to my fellow human being.
I do have an adult female friend which doesn't want anyone opening doors for her,to her it made her feel inferior or something like that,so I said that was in no way my intent,I extend that courtesy to everyone but I would respect her wishes with no problem and let it drop.As time went on we talked and it became clear she just wanted to be accepted as an equal,like one of the guys and on the other hand she also realized by being helpful & courtesy to everyone is about respect and not about anything else.I didn't allow it to change me,she can accept me for who I am or not,the choice is theirs!

Isn't paying women what they are worth and treating them with respect in the workplace an act of chivalry? And I agree with those that believe both can go hand in hand.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0
This got me thinking while watching TV..

Would women rather want chivalry (EX: Holding doors open or paying for meals) or equal rights (EX: No holding doors open or paying for meals)? Of course there could be exceptions, but just pick 1 or the other for now.

I think you mean opening passenger car doors for your lady? I thought holding doors open was a common courtesy no matter the gender or type of relationship.

Edit:

I find it awkward when there is more than one door to a building however.

So someone holds the first door open and lets you go first, then you are supposed to do the same 5 feet later? I don't know. It's like door dancing or something.

Upvote 0
I think you mean opening passenger car doors for your lady? I thought holding doors open was a common courtesy no matter the gender or type of relationship.

Well, using cars as an example, I have never seen(Unless they were a chauffeur) or actually have opened the door for guys unless it was obvious they needed help. Why? Because I would expect them to be a man and do it for themselves.

I guess I should be more specific and ask you to view it in a feminist POV. If the video was not enough for you:
Chivalry vs. Feminism - AskMen.com

Upvote 0
Well, using cars as an example, I have never seen(Unless they were a chauffeur) or actually have opened the door for guys unless it was obvious they needed help. Why? Because I would expect them to be a man and do it for themselves.

Right that is what I was trying to say. :)

Building doors - common courtesy
Car doors - chivalry

I didn't watch the video.. No audio right now.

Upvote 0
Isn't paying women what they are worth and treating them with respect in the workplace an act of chivalry? And I agree with those that believe both can go hand in hand.

Bob Maxey
It really boils down to what chivalry means to each person.
To me chivalry means above and beyond the norm.Equal rights means the same,no exception.I guess if we were to consider what the Equal Rights law references to alter the discussion but in general/broad terms they are quite different.
To me wage issues are automatic and most always a legal reference to refer to,and I try my best to treat people the same,so the answer is no.Now I may pay a little more attention to the words I use around a woman or group because of how I was taught from childhood.To be totally honest I'd have to say there can be some dif. depending on the people involved,the enviroment and weather it's professional or personal/private!
I think most guys were taught to elevate the level manners in the presence of elders,women.

Upvote 0
The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Of course not. However there were leaders in the women's rights movement attempting to cause us to believe that those two things were very much at opposite ends of the civil rights poles.

A man showing courtesy to a woman was being a "male chauvinist pig," they were saying, and his act of courtesy was "preventing women from doing for themselves what men have always done for themselves."

I take that issue as the core of this question, at least historically speaking.

Reactions: Vinsanity93
Upvote 0
Women like a challenge.
Open the door for them and tell them they look nice and smell lovely then tell them they need to be equally gracious and you accept their invitation for dinner. If that fails tell her you are going to pull her hair and spank her a$$:D:D:D

I appreciate women that make that effort to carry womanhood by looking good, smelling nice, being smart, and being more considerate and caring than men tend to be but they better also be ready to get their hands dirty when we change the oil or renovate:D

Women in general are awesome "creatures".
Women are like a box of chocolates...99% of them taste goooood.:D:D:D

Upvote 0
As a woman, I feel liberated by being a woman rather than being a cheap replica of a man. I'm happy to be a full time mother and hopefully soon a full time grandmother and I don't consider myself inferior to women who are executives, lawyers etc. On the contrary, raising children is far more appealing to me than being locked away in an office and harassed by phone calls, meetings, deadlines, and so on.

Reactions: Crude
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones