1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Choice Dialer is the BEST

Last Updated:

1. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've tried several voice command/dial apps, starting with the popular VoiceDial HF, and Choice Dialer blows the socks off the others. It is so great to just shake the phone and it starts (my HTC Incredible has no camera button).

"Remind me to call Joe Blow tomorrow" and immediately up pops a filled out calendar form! Launch any app on your phone (it periodically scans your apps). Play any music track. SO much more.

This app needs to get noticed so the author can be encouraged. He deserves a handsome reward for the care and professionalism of his work.

Costs $4.00 - Easily the best $4.00 I've ever spend on my phone!

http://choicedialer.com/

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

For those about to upgrade to froyo, android 2.2 has this support natively (in case you want to save money)

3. DulcetTone

DulcetTone Member

Lekky, you're right that Android 2.2's voice dialer broke new ground.

However, as of the recent release of the Choice Dialer apps, there is no reason to prefer the stock Voice Dialer to even the free offering of Choice Dialer on any Android platform (that I know of... contrary reports offer me the chance to fix bugs).

Why are the free versions of Choice Dialer and Choice Dialer Plus better than the stock Voice Dialer?

On Android versions other than 2.2, Voice Dialer lacks voice confirmations. Choice Dialer's free versions have voice confirmations even on Android 1.5, and also add a few thoughtful shortcuts such as "Find contact for (name)" and "Send a text to (name) [at place]". They also launch faster than the stock voice dialers, and can be launched by media buttons on wired headsets or by a long-press on camera or search.

On Android 2.2, Choice Dialer Plus Free matches the voice confirmation and Bluetooth hands-free capability of the stock Voice Dialer. Its advantage on 2.2 is therefore reduced to its additional commands and quicker launch and additional launch buttons.

What do the paid versions add?

The paid versions add a shake-and-talk launch trigger, speak their voice confirmations more quickly (it's adjustable here), and offer commands for playing music and scheduling calendar events and toggling things such as Bluetooth, wi-fi, ringer mode, etc.

Tony Lovell

4. desmofan

desmofan Well-Known Member

Do you really think choice dialer works well? I have never been able to get it to do anything consistently. Rarely, if ever, does it recognize the contact I'm trying to call. One big issue is that to call a contact, I have to say "Call Last Name First Name at..." for some contacts, and "Call First name Last Name at..." for others. The "Send a text to" works well to open Handcent SMS, which is what I use, but then I have to type the message, which seems to kinda negate the need for Choice Dialer.

5. DulcetTone

DulcetTone Member

Hi, Desmofan.

If some contacts are first name/last name and others the reverse, you have to check your contact list, as they are in fact in there in that manner. My guess is that the ones that are reversed were entered or synced to your phone using different means and you may be able to re-import them with different preferences.

For general name recognition difficulty, certainly make sure the people are all in as first name and last name, as well as ironing out any inconsistencies in the name order.

You CAN dictate texts with the paid versions of Choice Dialer. You may have last used it before that was a feature.

Tony

6. sic0048

sic0048 Well-Known Member

For those looking for better voice commands for ALL apps, not just calls - check out Vlingo. It is now free since Google announced it was going to integrate this into Froyo. But Vlingo works on older Android versions, so you can use it now without having to wait for Froyo.

7. hakz

hakz Guest

for some reason, when the phone is on sleep, vlingo and the stock voice dialer never works. I've gotten more luck using choice dialler, but 90% of the time it doesnt recognise what I am trying to say consistently.