Choices for Rooter in Canada?

Last Updated:

1. nicracine

nicracine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I was going through the Android offering in Canada because I am still thinking about leaving Rogers ASAP, and it turns out that the great Android promise of a free, evolutive OS does not really exist here in Canada.

At Rogers, for now, we have the Dream and the Magic+, both stuck (for now) at Android 1.5, and prevented from any rooting.

Telus has the Milestone, at Android 2.01, which is a lot better, but that is also prevented from any rooting by some Motorola scheme. There also is the Hero, not sure which version of Android it runs on, and if it's rootable, but I am not interested in this phone because it is not actually an upgrade from my Magic.

Bell has the Samsung Galaxy. It runs on Android 1.5, there is no new about an upgrade, and although some versions of the Galaxy have been rooted, I have not seen any info about Bell's Galaxy being rootable.

Is is just me or is the Android offer in Canada totally pathetic? I really like Android; I was very happy with my magic while it was rooted. However, I don't see a very bright future for it in Canada if every carrier and maker keep making closed phones. Android is just another ordinary OS.

I am actually considering going back to WinMo. At least, I know what to expect.

What are your thoughts? Besides hoping for the Nexus One in Canada, is there something to look out for?

Nicolas Racine

Advertisement
  2. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

You have to stop looking at what the providers are offering. If Canadian providers were the only ones locking it down then that points to some smart techs at the providers since I believe all N.A. providers want to control the device. No, they all try to lock you in.

Your best bet is to buy unlocked and not yet updated beyond what the rooters have cracked. Lots of them for sale around, I bought a Magic that is free of the provider OS. Being also unlocked I can run it on other networks. I'll never again buy a phone from the provider whether under contract or not. You have to research which phones will work with the provider you want to use but is worth the effort to have some freedom. There is even a developers phone out of Spain that comes already rooted.

3. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Well-Known Member

If you looking on switching order a Nexus One and go to wind.

4. nicracine

That's a good idea, but Wind is not in Quebec yet.

I have looked at phones on eBay. The trouble is I have a hard time convincing myself to buy a Magic when I already have one. If I spend money, it will be on an upgrade, and I don't see anything compatible with Roger's network. Unless I am mistaken, the Droid is not compatible, and the Nexus One will only get me 2G speed.

Nicolas Racine

5. vikingisson

I look at it this way, a rooted and updated Magic *is* an upgrade. :)
    And 1/2 the price of the top of the line. I'm waiting until 1Ghz phones are the norm with more choices. And I was able to give the official Magic to a daughter and she's thrilled. priceless. ;) It made sense until the contract is up. I found an unused one locally and verified it with my SIM.

nicracine likes this.
  6. nicracine

I see what you mean.

So if I buy a T-Mobile MyTouch, would it be compatible with Roger's network? From what I have seen, the answer is yes, but I would not have access to 3G speed. Am I right?

From Wikipedia:
    Rogers:
    T-Mobile:
    So, besides finding a Rogers Magic that has not been updated, what options do I have? Finding an Android phone from AT&T, which is a compatible network?

Nicolas Racine

7. zortoflaven

zortoflaven Well-Known Member

A MyTouch3G, Droid or Nexus one will currently not get Rogers 3G. Any AT&T 3G compatible phone is also Rogers 3G compatible.

The Telus Milestone (Droid) will work just fine on Rogers. There is rumours of a Rogers compatible Nexus One coming soon as well.

8. nicracine

Thanks everybody for your input.

One last question. I have found a Magic that has not been updated. At least, I think.

Can I just check the phone's Build number? The one I want to buy starts with 2.17.631, while mine starts with 3.05.631, so this is an earlier version of the phone, right?

Nicolas Racine

9. vikingisson

That sounds like the old original ROM so might be good. Hard to say since that is part of the ROM and depends on which one is installed. The other thing to check is the fastboot. Hold volume down while holding power. you should see the radio and SPL versions. you'll then know if it is rootable.

FYI, I found another Magic today as well. It had the old version on it but I've already rooted and updated so I can't verify the build number. This one will run without a SIM for the time being but works great with WiFI and a SIP app. I might check out some data only plans.

10. nicracine

I made some research, and build 2.17.631 is the one released around september 2009. So I'll probably take the chance and order that phone and try to root it.

Thanks again everybody for your help.

Nicolas Racine

11. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

@nicracine: Just wanted to let you know, I have a Rogers Magic and I have never applied _any_ of the updates, not even the minor one back in September, so my ROM is the stock ROM.

My build # is 2.16.631.6 146733

12. nicracine

This is good to know.

Thanks!

Nicolas Racine

13. wjsturgis3

wjsturgis3 Member

The real test if you can root a Magic is to boot to the SPL: (volume down +power) If you see "HBOOT 1.33.0010 (Sapp50000)", you have a rootable phone.