Chomp or Handcent?

Which do people prefer

1. Default Messaging App (HTC's Version)

23 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. Default Mesaging App (Android Version)

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Handcent

103 vote(s)
    64.8%
  4. chompSMS

29 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Other unmention app

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Antiman

Antiman Member

Which do people think is best?

Advertisement
  2. System0

System0 Well-Known Member

chomp for me. Still only ten pence :)

[​IMG]
  3. Fleming

Fleming Member

I'm afraid you are living in the past.
    Chomps are now sold for 15p.

I also think chomp is better than Handcent.
  4. Tye

Tye Well-Known Member

Until either of them can use the linked Facebook contact pictures in conversations I would say neither =P
    P.s. giv me a shout when they sort it =)
  5. deadite66

deadite66 Well-Known Member

handcent i hate bubble msg's chomp force on you.
  6. jaydoubledub

jaydoubledub Member

THANK YOU! I was **thiiiiis close** to downloading and installing Chomp again, to see if it had changed at all. I guess not! Thanks, I HATE THAT too!
  7. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Handcent stutters, stumbles and lags too much though compared to Chomp.
  8. jaydoubledub

jaydoubledub Member

I would say "JUUUUST BARELY". I like customization. I don't add the extra font packs though. However, if i so chose, I could do different"bubble settings" for each individual person. Oh and lets not leave out the VERY accurate "Speech to text" that Handcent has also. Many great things that it offers and I am happy to take an extra second to wait for, over Chomp.
  9. SFA_AOK

SFA_AOK Well-Known Member

Ooh, how do you turn off the bubble messages?

I like the look of the default app but it's performance is pony and no easy way to delete multiple individual messages (if that makes sense?).
  10. Qrystal

Qrystal Member

Handcent now does do facebook contact pics. Chomp, on the other hand, uses the images from your Contacts list, which (in my case) tend to be all imported from facebook anyways.
  11. germcevoy

germcevoy Well-Known Member

I went from Chomp to handcent then back onto chomp again. Chomp just seems lighter and less prone to force closures
  12. guitarevan07

guitarevan07 Active Member

Chomps bubbles look really crappy compared to handcents. No one agrees? I'm on the droid
  13. elektrobix

elektrobix Well-Known Member

I love handcent because i've got different styles for each person. My gardening friend has a grass background with green and sly blue bubbles, my madonna loving friend has a theme from one of her albums etc etc. :rolleyes:
  14. Elpelco

Elpelco Well-Known Member

I tried handcent, but there was a bug where you get a message, it shows in the notification bar etc, but when you click to open it, the app somehow deletes it. Not all of them, but enough that I was missing too many messages. And the developer didn't seem to anxious to fix the issue. Tried Chomp and loved it.
  15. TheStone

TheStone Active Member

Elpelco, Was it Handcent you were losing texts on? I'm having a similar problem, so might switch to Chomp.
  16. phillevy

phillevy Well-Known Member

Has anyone had both installed at the same time to compare - I'm running Chomp and would like to try Handcent but am worried having them both installed would cause problems?
  17. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

I tired hancent, but changed to chomp. It looks alot better in my opinion, and seams more lightweight.
  18. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member

I just switched from the stock messaging to hancent a couple of days ago. I really like it, I haven't dug around to see how customisable it is yet but on the surface it does look and feel very good.

Cheers Al
  19. Elpelco

Elpelco Well-Known Member

Oops. Yes, I actually meant handcent. It's a bug. Try chomp, for me it's a lot better.
  20. elektrobix

elektrobix Well-Known Member

Does Chomp have MMS support yet? I send quite a few picture texts so that's something i need.
  21. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it doesn't, I can't work out how to if it does
  22. limpet

limpet New Member

I don't seem able to view my drafts folder in Handcent, I was just wondering if this just isn't possible, or if I'm just being silly??

cheers
  23. RocknSteve

RocknSteve Well-Known Member

I started out using the stock messaging app but started looking for a different texting app since I've a Verizon customer and their network doesn't split up long text messages for you when sending. I talked to a friend who has had an Android phone for a while and he told me about Handcent. I installed it but quickly un-installed as it didn't use Android 2.0 features at the time (the contact's pictures that sync with facebook, etc) and it didn't have an option to split up texts.

However, I reinstalled it a while ago after it was updated to take advantage of 2.0 features and had an auto-split option. I've loved it. The amount of customization is overwhelming at first (and not necessarily in a good way) but after messing around with the options, I was able to figure out what all the options do.

I decided to try Chomp after another friend told me she uses it. I installed it and it does seem to have a "lighter" feel (I just feel like Handcent can be bulky) and I like the small details in its appearance such as the divider line between the conversations in the conversations list (it fades out from the center). However, I felt like it is missing some of the customization that Handcent has. Something that bugged me about Chomp though was that when you tap on the user's picture, the mini pop-up menu that 2.0 has doesn't pop up in the right spot (right above or below the user's picture).

So enough rambling. I was just curious what you all thought about the two apps. When I Googled it, I found a lot of older conversations which made them almost mute. A comprehensive list of capabilities between the two apps would be "oh so dreamy" (you better laugh at me saying that).

EDIT:
    It does save drafts. Just go to a conversation you have, start typing something, and just press the "Back" button or whatnot and you'll notice that the conversation now has "Draft" next to the person's name. I think this is what you were asking? If not, let me know.
  24. midge37

midge37 Well-Known Member

Switched from the default SMS package to Handcent last week, never really got on with it and changed to chomp yesterday. Liking Chomp much more at present.
  25. RocknSteve

RocknSteve Well-Known Member

Another thing I noticed about Chomp is the icon for new messages are old school. Not a big thing I know. But to me, it's the small things that, when added up together, makes a good app become a great app. If only I could pick and choose what I like from Chomp and Handcent and put them together. *Time to become a mad programmer and make my own*