Chompsms vs Handcent??Support

Last Updated:

1. nchargreed

nchargreed Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so I've seen this comparison on other phones, but I need to know what ya'll think operating these on the Epic??

I've played around with both, found pros and cons for both and now I need to pull the trigger. Which one do I commit to with a "donation"?

Any bugs you've found or kick ass features that you've discovered will be helpful as I'm making my decision.

Thanks, in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Keybeeetsss

Keybeeetsss Well-Known Member

Handcent for me; tried Chomp & it seems like a Jr. varsity app to me...

3. nchargreed

nchargreed Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's harsh ;) but I am leaning toward Handcent. I need the option to "ignore" failed messages, though. I'm finding that "failures" are actually being sent and received. Handcent doesn't offer me the option to "ignore" so I can't clear these.

4. Seddy

Seddy Well-Known Member

Handcent. Never tried Chomp. Ive had Handcent since my Moment and I fell in love with it. It was the 1st app I downloaded on my Epic. :)

5. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

I think I tried both on my Droid, but how do you stop the stock app from also receiving the message?

6. jerbeck24

jerbeck24 Well-Known Member

-Open the Messaging app
    -Hit menu>Settings
    -Under notifications settings, uncheck the notifications in status bar option.

Handcent is definitely my choice...tried both and Handcent for me is way better.

7. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

Doesn't that just stop it from displaying it? It's still receiving it isn't it?

8. blueatlanta

blueatlanta Member

i am using handcent. I have one complaint. When i send a picture (mms) it takes forever to send. So i end up having to use the stock messaging app to send mms

9. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

I must be the only person using chomp lol. I think it has a cleaner interface. Handcent's seem kinda low rez.

10. YaBoiD

YaBoiD Well-Known Member

I just turned off the receive notifications & unchecked automatically retrieve mms from the stock messaging app & haven't had a problem since using Handcent instead. They don't conflict at all.

daddyd302 likes this.
  11. Keybeeetsss

Keybeeetsss Well-Known Member

there isn't anything u can do about that; but the only way u kno that is if ur checking the stock which isn't much of a point to do; 2ndly, it must remain on the phone & do as it does or u mess up MMS all the way...

daddyd302 likes this.
  12. drewsg

drewsg Well-Known Member

I prefer ChompSMS, both are basically the same thing

13. ragnarokx

ragnarokx Well-Known Member

that's my only complaint about handcent..

14. Boldt

Boldt Well-Known Member

Of the two I prefer Handcent but it has some recent issues (double texts, missed texts) etc I also like SMS Popup

15. blueatlanta

blueatlanta Member

i am happy to report that my issues with MMS and handcent are now resolved. I got the new epic update from sprint and an update from handcent around the same time so im not sure which fixed it, but one of them did.

16. UniqueNate

UniqueNate Well-Known Member

I like Chomp better. I used to alternate all the time but Handcent is missing a couple of things for me personally. I like how you can alternate between bubbles for the conversation. One thing I don't like is when you customize a background for a thread, it stretches out the picture. On Chomp it fits just right and keeps the quality. Now Chomp has themes and I can send mms with no problems. Handcent had issues when I used mms. UI wise I like Handcent better but Chomp isn't bad so I'll take quality over looks when it comes to those two.