• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Choose between Wireless and Edge

bcetin

Lurker
Apr 21, 2011
Hi,

I'm using HTC Desire HD but I have this odd problem; when both Edge and Wireless connections are active and available, my device always prefers Edge. I'm mostly using my phone for reading e-mails, so I realised this when my monthly bill came double :) When I look at the details of the bill, it's all Edge connections.

Is there any way I can change this behaviour or am I bound to turn off Edge when I want to use wireless?

Thanks for any help..

Hi Harry,

Yes I mean WiFi. I'm new to this subject and terminology.

My Wireless router is in a place like the "center" of the home and signal stregth is usually at maximum or very close. I also use wireless connectin with my desktop computer in my bedroom with max signal.

Sorry but I could not understand the relation with WiFi signal strength and my question. I would like my phone to use WiFi when both Edge and WiFi are available. For now, it always chooses to connect with Edge.

Upvote 0
Thats strange that your phone chooses edge over wifi when you have a good signal,if you want to make sure you are using wifi while your at home, just go to settings,wireless and networks, and turn off your mobile data when you are at home,its probably a good idea not to have them both on at the same time anyway due to battery consumption, hope this helps....
Matt.

Reactions: bcetin
Upvote 0
The WiFi symbol in the statusbar shows me the signal strenght.
When I enter my house, the WiFi symbol replaces the Edge symbol (and the phone changed automaticly from Edge to WiFi).
But in my kitchen is a very poor WiFi signal.
So, when i enter my kitchen, the Edge symbol replaces the WiFi symbol (and the phone changes automaticly back Edge).
So, I don't place my Desire HD for long time in my kitchen :D.

That is, what I meant with WiFi signal strength at different places.

EDIT: But if your WiFi signal strength is good at all places at your home, then your DHD shows a strange behavior.

Harry

Reactions: bcetin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones