• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Choosing a smartphone that doesn't have a problem with L2TP VPN

evilwizard

Lurker
Feb 28, 2012
Hi, so I want to buy an Android smartphone and was looking at buying something from the high-end range of available phones.

Initially I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, but I soon found out that ICS currently has some problems with working correctly with L2TP VPN. So I then started to consider smartphones running an earlier version of Android to get around the problem. However I found some threads on this forum that suggest that even the Samsung Galaxy S2 has a similar problem with L2TP VPN.

Could anyone please verify whether such problem still exists on the S2 because I am very interested in it. However if it won't work well with L2TP I have to abandon the idea altogether because for me it is an essential feature.

What other smartphones do you suggest that I look into? (I was also considering the Motorola Razr XT910 because it doesn't seem to experience the same problems with L2TP).

Thanks in advance

anyone knowledgeable about this issue please?

I am having this same issue with my Nexus as well. Both my Iconia a500 tablet and my Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate can connect via l2tp without 'secret'.

The difference with the Nexus is that it doesn't offer a simple l2tp option. It only offers 2 l2tp/ipsec options (RSA and PSK). Leaving the secret undefined works with the older OS's (Gingerbread and Honeycomb) but with the ICS OS on my Nexus, a simple, l2tp w/ secret undefined is not possible.

I don't understand enough about VPN's as I have only just recently signed up for one, but the combination of l2tp and ipsec appears to be the issue.

Hopefully someone has come across this and knows a way around it to make it work like it does with older Androids.

It's not necessary for me, but I would like to see if there is a solution. Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones