• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Choosing between the D1 & D2

smoochy

Lurker
Oct 6, 2010
Hi Everyone-

I've been a longtime iPhone user (Gen1-3Gs) and am now making the move over to Android. I just can't take AT&Ts spotty service in my area anymore. And to be honest, Apple has just worn down my nerves to the point I'm gonna snap if I don't get out of their little ecosystem.
I've narrowed my choice down to the Droid, but I'm not really sure if I should go with the D1 or D2. I'd really like to root, etc. with whichever phone I purchase and being new to that, which phone would be easier, has more more options, etc.?
After reading through this forum (and others), people seem to really like the D2, but D1 owners really seem to love their D1s.
I was recently at Best Buy, and they have both phones in stock (major price difference between the 2) and held/typed with both phones. They both appear/feel nice in my hands. Neither phone was hooked up at BB, but I have played with a functional D2 at the Verizon store.
I'll be entering a new contract with Verizon, so I thought I would ask you guys which one you'd prefer going into a new 2yr contract.
I honestly don't know what the D1 is set up with at BB (older software?) and of course the D2 is upgraded to the newer software.

Thanks for any & all help

I am pretty sure most people here will tell you to get the D2. More memory, faster CPU, improved keyboard. Comes with 2.2 and might get updated later on. The D1 will not receive any more major updates. You can customize the D1 a little more since it does not have a locked boot loader but you are still able to apply themes and ROMs to the D2, just not overclock it. I am very happy with my D2.

Many people here got their D2's as replacements for D1's so they should be able to give you a really good comparison.

Upvote 0
If you just want a basic and reliable Android device, Verizon has started selling the "like new" versions of the Droid...

If you want the faster better call quality, more ram, and a CPU thats slowed by the Blur, then go for the Droid2...

The original has the vanilla Android which is a plus in speed and battery life in my opinion...

I have had both, and could use either since they are both great devices....Comparison from my basic use:

Screen - Same
Andoid 2.2 - Same
Size - Same
Camera - Droid2 ( camera on Droid and devour were horrible)
Vanilla Android/ Versus Blur - Droid
Keyboard - Droid2 (slightly)
Quadrant Score - Droid2
Cpu/ Ram - Droid2
Battery life - Droid
Style - Droid 2 (Original Droid never looked finished)
Call Quality - Droid2 ( Original had a huge issue with this)

Upvote 0
DO NOT GET A DROID REFURB PLEASE!

You might as well get a droid 2. its sure to get more official android os updates. the droid 1 will only see any further updates through Roms which (if the newer os is powerful and requires more ram) might be watered down versions. so get the latest while you can with the improved keyboard, processor, build quality.

again unless you can get a new out the box droid1 DO NOT GET A REFURBISHED DROID1!

lol its the reason some droid2 owners here have droid2s. they are crap!

dude... save yourself the trouble!

EDIT: (i need to steal your comparison outlaw.99 lol)
Heres my version: (In My Opinion)

Screen - Same

Andoid 2.2 - DROID2 (only because it handles it better than the droid1. its been said the droid1 really stuggles with 2.2 unless you're rooted, ROM'd and OC'd. thats why theres sooo many problems with 2.2 and the droid1.)

Size - Same

Camera - Droid2 ( camera on Droid and devour were horrible. true, and also because Droid2 has scene options and a slightly better interface)

Vanilla Android/ Versus Blur - Droid2 (blur has way better widgets and though its a bit choppy home screen navigation wise, most of its features make up for that. plus everybody whos anybody uses LauncherPro or ADW anyway, so home screen navigation doesnt matter too much.)

Keyboard - Droid2 (bcuz it has arrow keys and no space wasting d-pad knocking it off center.)

Quadrant Score - Droid2

Cpu/ Ram - Droid2

Battery life - Droid2 (my battery lasts way way way longer than when i had the droid1 and i play games alot, text alot, have many things synced and im a display hog.)

Style - Droid 2 (Original Droid never looked finished. true and droid2 has a better build quality.)

Call Quality - Droid2 ( Original had a huge issue with this. true, plus 4 of my droid1 replacements were bcuz of this problem.)

many people feel the droid 2 isnt a good improvement when it is. they feel it isnt just because of the locked bootloader. it has roms out with and without blur. it can still be themed. theres no need to overclock. you cant still remove unwanted apps.
so droid 2 is a great improvement and i think you will be much happier with it.:)

Upvote 0
Went from D1 to D2 via warranty replacement upgrade...

Hands-down stay w/the D2.

The only thing you can't do now is totally replace stock recovery (which is worked around w/the bootstrap recovery process), and overclock (which has not been an issue - at 1GHz the D2 has plenty of speed). D2 runs cooler overall at 1GHz than D1 did overclocked to 1GHz, which I like.

ASOP ROMs are coming to the D2, de-blurred ROMs are available now, so if you want a "clean" non-Moto Blur experience on a D2 it's pretty much available now, and should only get better. I'm running stock D2 (w/Black Glass theme), and have found blur to be a non-issue for me, don't use the blur widgets and love the blurEmail client -better than the email client for exchange mail that's on the D1/2.2.

Battery life is better for me on D2, using the same battery I used on my D1, and D2 has some built in battery management that is nice.

More memory/faster stock CPU should mean longer usable life and able to handle more OS upgrades farther into the future. Also means that the bog-downs that would happen on my D1 (even when it was overclocked to 1 GHz) do not happen on my D2.

Loved my D1...just love my D2 a little more. :D

Upvote 0
ASOP ROMs are coming to the D2, de-blurred ROMs are available now, so if you want a "clean" non-Moto Blur experience on a D2 it's pretty much available now, and should only get better. :D

Interesting... I would love a Vanilla Android for my D2... Just not sure if I wanna risk bricking a high end device... I use to flash Touch Pros and such weekly but always knew there was a way to get them back....

Upvote 0
D2 for sure. I had the D1 and left it alone. I liked it a lot. Got a D2 and have been playing around with it quite a bit. I just added the R2D2 theme. If you can find one of those go for it. I actually like a lot of the blur apps... I take that back... some of the blur apps. But the ones you don't like can be frozen w/ Titanium backup (once you're rooted of course). However, like everyone else has said the phone even without that is wicked fast. They don't make D1's anymore so i would keep that in mind. The battle seems to be more between the D2 and the X. Sorry if i just made your choice harder :)

Upvote 0
After recently upgrading from a rooted D1 to a D2, I would have to say that the DROID2 is the phone to go with. The quicker processor, as well as the upgrade in memory do wonders for the overall performance of the phone. I always felt with the D1 that I was pushing it to it's limits, and would experience forced closes on many occaisions, but not with the D2 at all. I have also noticed a major reduction in lag times when using apps. I love the layout of the car dock for the D2 over the D1, and internet browsing is quick, and a breeze.

The DROID is a great device, and was a great introduction to the world of Android for me. However, the DROID2 has been a flat out upgrade all around.

Upvote 0
I see what your saying... But what I meant by "get them back" was that even if the flash went bad on a WinMo you could get it set up to try again.... I have heard bad stories about some that failed on a root....

Hmmm...'heard bad stories' where? I'm unable to remember a thread here or on the D1 forum where a user could not recover their D1 or D2 via SBF, aside from situations w/developers hacking the cr*p out of their phones got themselves into trouble.

The D1 and D2 are really, really hard to brick..you gotta really work at it. :)

Upvote 0
The Droid 1 only has 256MB of internal memory for application storage vs. 8GB on the Droid 2.

This makes a HUGE difference in what you can do with your device (espeically if you don't Root your phone).

Android 2.2 does let you move some applications over to the microSD card but the percentage of apps that allow this is very small (10-15% I think) so the amount of internal memory available is very important.

And for now at least, the Droid 2 is still receiving upgrades and updates. The original Droid has probably received all the offical support it ever will.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones