Choosing which applications start up

1. maker96

maker96 Member

I downloaded lot of applications onto my new S3 and the all seem to be running. How can I stop some starting up every time I start my phone,and presumably save battery?

Advertisement
    :
  2. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

If you don't want an app to start (that you don't use), go to settings/applications/ and check "disable".

Some may be starting because you have syncing set within the app, turn it off.

Some just plain run all the time... leave them alone, you're not wasting much battery (unless it's something like Jango taht you didn't exit correctly). Android is designed to have stuff run and not really be "on".

3. RyanB

RyanB Distributor of Awesome VIP Member

4. drewcam888

drewcam888 Well-Known Member

Get autostarts and you can disable any app. You have to be rooted to use it.
  5. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

They aren't "running". They are just loaded in memory for quick access.

Don't worry about it and just let Android manage the memory on its own. It does a very good job of it.
    Dieben likes this.
  6. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

I use Gemini Apps Manager. I think it does the same thing as autostarts (haven't tried autostarts). Requires root. Very easy and useful program.

It can certainly help the performance of your phone (battery and memory/speed) to block these type programs from auto-starting. Many of the programs that auto-load on start (for example Google Maps) have an associated service... which makes them high priority... they won't unload easily. Android will flush your other programs (maybe some you want to use) before it flushes the service.

I blocked Google Maps so it doesn't start on boot. The program is still available to me, it just doesn't start until I want it to.
  7. maker96

maker96 Member

Thanks, I did not realise they are ready but not consuming power unless I am using them, and understand some (maps?) will update in background.
  8. RyanB

RyanB Distributor of Awesome VIP Member

That's pretty much it. You can even go into your settings to click on BATTERY, and see what takes up the most power. It'll likely be your screen and your radios.