• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chrome hanging

Pétanque

Lurker
Jul 21, 2016
First of all, hello everyone, I'm new here, but not new to Android. I have a Nexus 6, stock international version, unrooted and want to keep it that way if at all possible. I'm on Marshmallow.

My phone was working absolutely perfectly, no lag, no hanging until quite recently. For the past month or so, Google Now as well as search results have taken a long time to resolve. I'm talking up to 20 seconds, if they resolve at all. Chrome seems to hang on Google's forwarding address, but I'm not entirely sure as it's inconsistent.

Looking at past issues with Google Search, I see exactly the same problem going back as long as 6 years ago, but before there was a fix where you could downgrade to a previous version whereas now, there is no such option.

Things I've tried:
  • Cache clearing at all levels (from Chrome to
  • Removing potential app clashes
  • Safe mode
  • Wi-Fi vs Mobile Data (no difference)

The only thing I have noticed, and this is common to the previous issues I saw on older forums, is that when I clear the cache, it works fine temporarily, but within 3-4 url requests, hangs again. It is impractical to continue to clear the cache every time I want to use it.

As a result, the browser and Google Now have become virtually useless. This is terribly frustrating, as it worked perfectly before, and I suspect it's an update that at some point messed it up.

Has anyone encountered this and found a workaround?

I tried Google Search Help forum and they didn't even reply, and the Google Nexus 6 forum just shifted my post to Google Search Help forum, so I'm hoping some whizz can help out here!

I'm not a newbie, but I'm also not really confident with highly technical stuff. Please help!

Hello,

Something definitely sounds amiss, because the N6 is still a powerhouse and lag should not be one of your problems.

What kind of apps do you have installed? Any task killers? Have you tried a factory reset?
Hello,

Something definitely sounds amiss, because the N6 is still a powerhouse and lag should not be one of your problems.

What kind of apps do you have installed? Any task killers? Have you tried a factory reset?

Hi, it's not lagging, it's hanging. Yes, I agree, and it was fine until (I think) the latest update to Chrome.

As mentioned, Safe Mode has no effect so it's not an app clash. I don't have task killers.

Factory reset, in my experience, has little effect in these instances where bugs have been introduced by Google, but I'll try it as a final, final resort.

As you see from my first post, I have tried many things already. I am using Firefox as a workaround for now but, of course, nothing is integrated, so the Google side of things is virtually useless. Firefox, incidentally, has no issues whatsoever resolving urls or links.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones