• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Chrome won't stay set as default browser

I guess your last option is a factory reset. Or take the phone back if you still can. If you are taking the phone back you will have to do a factory reset anyway to clear all your info off the phone...so it's worth a shot.

Yeah. I think I'll try that. I have helium so I can resync all my app data if I want. It wouldn't be a huge issue. I think I'll give it a shot.

Have you tried it out on yours?

Upvote 0
Factory reset? No.

I use Chrome and don't have your problem. I set it as default once and it has been used as default by the system and all apps from day one.

Yeah that's what I meant. Have you tried setting it as default. I just used it on my DNA and didn't have that issue. I'm still in my return window so I'll probably reset it and see if that works. If not, it's going back.

Upvote 0
Did you ever get this issue resolved? If so, how? I am experiencing the same issue and don't want to do a factory reset if I don't have to.
I know you get a pop up but it should ask you to use the program "Always or just once". Additionally, you can go into your Settings>More>Application Manager and swipe over to the "all" category. From there you can disable the other internet apps or go to your Internet app that you use, open it, and scroll down to set defaults.

Upvote 0
Cured this issue. It only happens when none stock apps are installed on sd card.

For example:

I use quick pic rather than' gallery" but whilst it's installed on external memory the "clear defaults" option is greyed out (in application manager-- all) but when I moved quick pic to device memory. I was able to clear the defaults and set it as permanent default when clicking on an image.
Tried the same with a couple more non stock apps and moved them back and forth. And it's definitely the case. Lord knows why but that's how it is

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones