• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chromecast photo slideshow app

aod

Jan 21, 2012
I'm looking for an app that can work with Chromecast to display slideshows of photos on the tablet.

I need it to meet the following requirements:
  • Simple to use
  • Stable
  • Decent performance
  • Good quality streaming
  • Must use / be able to see and select individual photo folders on tablet
  • Slideshow must have customisable length, minimum range 5-30 secs, 1 second intervals would be better.
  • Slideshow must be reliable and allow manual advance and direction change (ideally with swipe)
I tested the following apps and below are my comments

DayFrame
Pros:
Simple to use, slideshow uses swipe to advance, timer has a good range
Cons: During Slideshow photos often get stuck on TV even though they've advanced on tablet, or repeating back to the start on the TV, but continuing on the tablet.
Rating 4/5

PhotoCast
Pros:
Nice interface, quite fast, good slideshow
Cons: Slideshow minimum 10 second skip - would like 5 seconds or less, skipping photos doesn't interrupt timer, limited settings, not sure location path can be customised
Rating 4/5

LocalCast
Pros:
Fast
Cons: No folder view - all photos in 1 folder, slideshow is poor, often crashes or shows blanks instead of photos, then flicks up the next photo for a split second and pauses on a blank screen.
Rating 2/5

AllCast
Pros:
Stable, good quality, simple to use
Cons: Slow, limited settings, no slideshow timer options
Rating 3/5

I've looked at other apps, but so far these appear to be to best 4.

I'm tempted by DayFrame and PhotoCast. If only DayFrame didn't have that bug where photo's get 'stuck', it would ideal. If PhotoCast had a few more Slideshow options and more customisations I'd be sold. It doesn't appear that the paid versions of the apps solve any of these problems - I've contacted DayFrame about the bug but waiting to hear back.

Can anyone suggest any other Apps to try that would do what I want?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones