• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Church Burning Holy Korans

I agree that both have the right to do what they want; but I think the difference is that the community centre is being built for a positive use, not to offend. The burning of the Korans is being done purely to insult and offend, with no practical purpose.

It seems to me that you are making assumptions/statements about what is happening with these issues to neaten up or fit what you believe is the intent of both parties.

You clearly state that the "community center" (*a misnomer in and of itself) is being built for positive use and not to offend?

This is based on you believing the intent stated. My issue with that is that if this was indeed the case and the intent was positive and about community, the organizers would work with the community on what was acceptable!

The burning of the Korans is being done purely to insult and offend?

The intent stated was "to mark the September 11th terrorist attacks". You are clearly showing that you are choosing to believe the intent stated by one group while not believing the intent of the other.

Hypocrisy is the worst form of a lie my friend! You are one of those here over the weeks preaching "rights of the people" above all else. However, you seem to pick and choose which rights you want to argue for.

As offensive as I find the burning of any symbol; religious, national or otherwise, they have the right to burn those books no matter how offensive it is to some as much as the mosque group has the right to build in that location, no matter how offensive it is to some!!!

*This is not a community center if it only accommodates a segment (Muslim faith) of said community. I find it quite difficult to believe that this facility would not be isolationist...but that is my opinion that I am not stating as fact!

Reactions: smacky
Upvote 0
Here is the deal, if it is ok in the eyes of the law to burn our flag, then it is also ok to burn the koran. Personally, some may agree or disagree but fair is fair...it has to be a 2 way street. Otherwise make it illegal to burn anything in protest. The saying goes, I may not agree with what you say but i will defend your right to say it applies. So burn Books, Bibles flags, korans, as long as it is legal, they have the right. Religious people will of course have moral issues with this, but if you are not religious then it probably will not matter a whole lot.

some things are legal, but are not necessacarily a prudent thing to do.

Upvote 0
I'd like to hear a politician take this opportunity to reach out to Muslims in other parts of the world and say something like, "You know how you have a small minority of people who call themselves Muslim but who are really batshit-crazy fundamentalists over whom you have no control? And you know how you don't wish to be judged by their actions? Well we in the US also have a small minority of batshit-crazy fundamentalists."

(And, true, at least this guy isn't planning on actually blowing anyone up, but other batshit-crazy *Christian* fundamentalists have - see my earlier post which I'll also quote at the end of this post.)

Regarding the Islamic Community Center (that is neither a mosque nor located at Ground Zero).... It's been around for years. They've outgrown their current Community Center and are just moving to a new, bigger location. That's all.

They chose the new location many months ago - well before this became a big story. No one cared about the location and it wasn't controversial.

Laura Ingraham of Fox News actually praised the plans back in December. Now - with the elections drawing near - she rails against it and has even said that building it would mean "the terrorists have won."

- - - - - - - - - -

... A muslim who I just heard today 8/9/2010 who poisoned and killed my dad's business partner in Malaysia so she can acquire all the wealth?
That's akin to saying "A [ethnicity-of-choice] man shot my daddy. Therefore I hate all [ethnicity-of-choice] people. In other words childish, ignorant, solipsistic thinking that leads to intolerance and is common to many (if not all) bigots.

I'm sorry mods for being really aggressive but I just hate what they believe in...
I should apologize, too, then, because I hate bigots and racists. Also, I'd bet that you don't know anything about what "they" believe in other than what you've been told by fear mongers.

...praising an allah before they blow themselves up? that that[sic] killing a westerner would automatically lead them to heaven?
I actually agree with you!! It's disgusting what fanatics will do in the name of religion. But if you think that's limited to any one religion then you are either blind or you don't pay attention.

...Just try to live in our generation, our reality and even in my shoes for once.
WTF are you talking about? To what generation do you belong? Whatever the answer, I assure you that there are many tolerant members of your (our?) generation.

- - - - - - - - - -

@nutadroid: Wow, where to begin? That was a stunning display of ignorance. I'll just pick a couple of highlights.

They protest their rights to build a mosque any where[sic] they please, yet have utter disregard (and disrespect) for the feelings of others.
That's like saying, "Those darned minorities don't respect my right to not want them to sit at the same lunch counter as me."

Yet on 9/11 when it was their time to stand on the plate, where were they? .... On 9/11 where were these so called "American Muslims"? Nowhere!!!!
Short answer: "They" were on the front lines dying in the attacks and running into those burning buildings trying to save lives, just like the brave heroes from other faiths. Oh, and, news flash, there are Muslims in the US Armed Forces. You probably missed my previous post because it was merged in from another thread. I'll quote myself a little later. Just watch the video.

Why? because even though they would "verbally" condem[sic] the attack of "radical" muslims (which by the way I absolutely do not beleive[sic] there is a distinction) at the back of their heads they aplaud[sic] the attack.
Wholly unfounded pure bigotry.

If those people truly want to send a message, they should petition the State on New York to put that building of that Mosque near the twin towers to a vote.

When two "rights" are at odds a vote is necessary to resolve the issue. This would not only be a shining example of Democracy, but would also remind these people that if they wish to live in this country they have to live, respect and stand with the rest of us.
(emphases mine to point out what appears to be obvious bigotry)

That's like saying that Jim Crow laws should have been put to a vote in the South.

You didn't do very well in your civics classes, did you? There are not "two rights" at odds. What rights do you think are being violated by the building of a church/synagogue/temple/mosque?[/QUOTE]

- - - - - - - - - -

This is not a community center if it only accommodates a segment (Muslim faith) of said community. I find it quite difficult to believe that this facility would not be isolationist.
Honest question.... Would you say the same thing about a YMCA? (the "C" stands for "Christian," ya' know.) How about the Boy Scouts? There are tons of Christian-based community centers across the nation. Are none of them actually "community centers"? We have a Jewish Community Center in my city. Is that a misnomer, too?

This is based on you believing the intent stated. My issue with that is that if this was indeed the case and the intent was positive and about community, the organizers would work with the community on what was acceptable!
As I said before, the community center has been planned for quite a while now. It wasn't an issue until election season. Laura Ingraham of Fox News actually praised it back in December. Now - with the elections drawing near - she rails against it and has even said that building it would mean "the terrorists have won."

So your entire premise is flawed, because this wasn't controversial at the time they picked the location.

The burning of the Korans is being done purely to insult and offend?

The intent stated was "to mark the September 11th terrorist attacks".
That's obviously false, as there were Muslim victims of the terrorist attacks on September 11.

- - - - - - - - - -
My post from another thread that was merged into the first page of this thread:
There were muslim victims of the terrorist attacks on September 11th. There were also muslim emergency responders.

'9/11 Happened to Us All'

So I guess what the pastor means is that he wants to remember some of the victims?

Al-Qaeda and other Islamic terrorists make up a tiny fraction of all muslims - Just like Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols (the Oklahoma City bombing), Eric Rudolph (several bombings in the late 90s) and other Christian terrorists make up a tiny fraction of all Christians.

Reactions: mms1946
Upvote 0
...This is based on you believing the intent stated...
True, I am giving both sides the same benefit of the doubt in believing what they say; but the alternative would be to pre-judge them, which I don't want to do.

...The intent stated was "to mark the September 11th terrorist attacks". You are clearly showing that you are choosing to believe the intent stated by one group while not believing the intent of the other...
The intent stated by the church leader interviewed on TV, handgun on his desk; was to perpetrate a radical act to incite Muslim to retaliate, he's also said it is meant as a clear message to Muslim that they will not be tolerated. He where's a t-shirt proclaiming that Islam is of the Devil. For these reasons I suspect that he is not merely marking a date, he's clearly intent on offense.

...Hypocrisy is the worst form of a lie my friend! You are one of those here over the weeks preaching "rights of the people" above all else. However, you seem to pick and choose which rights you want to argue for...
No hypocrisy at all, I absolutely defend his right to with his property what he wishes, but at the same time I think that he's a hateful twat. Because I dislike him isn't reason enough for me to deny him his rights, zero hypocrisy.

Reactions: mms1946
Upvote 0
The intent stated by the church leader interviewed on TV, handgun on his desk; was to perpetrate a radical act to incite Muslim to retaliate, he's also said it is meant as a clear message to Muslim that they will not be tolerated. He where's a t-shirt proclaiming that Islam is of the Devil. For these reasons I suspect that he is not merely marking a date, he's clearly intent on offense.

This I did not see but will take your word for it. The article I read stated only that it was to commemorate 9/11.

No hypocrisy at all, I absolutely defend his right to with his property what he wishes, but at the same time I think that he's a hateful twat. Because I dislike him isn't reason enough for me to deny him his rights, zero hypocrisy.

Unlike others who are extremely insecure, I will not ask you for a link of proof that he said those things and will retract my hypocrisy comment!

Reactions: mrqs
Upvote 0
Seems the good pastors resolve has weakened, BBC News are reporting that he's called off his book burning.

It's being reported that an agreement has been reached to relocate the planned development of a community centre in NYC, and for this reason the pastor decided not to go ahead, which is great news... odd though, because he'd previously said that his God told him to burn the Korans, and that nothing but God could stop him; obviously this was either not true, he's going against the word of his God, or God was in on the negotiations(which would seriously weaken the Muslim case if the Christian deity was sat across the conference table!)

EDIT: How confusing, the deal the pastor is reported to have talked about seems to be false, as the developers are reported as having said they've made no such deal?!? Somebody's lying here it would seem. Guess we'll have to wait for some more info. from decent sources.

Upvote 0
Well you've really sort of buried me in "paper work" so to speak and I am not typically a "multi-quoter", but I will do my best to respond as briefly as possible

Honest question.... Would you say the same thing about a YMCA? (the "C" stands for "Christian," ya' know.) How about the Boy Scouts? There are tons of Christian-based community centers across the nation. Are none of them actually "community centers"? We have a Jewish Community Center in my city. Is that a misnomer, too?

I'm sorry, but I am confused as to how these are all related. Have you ever been to a YMCA that was isolationist or exclusionary and only accepted Christians or men (the "M" stands for "Men" ya' know.) or young people (the "Y" stands for "Young" ya' know.)?? I certainly have not. Also, the Boy Scouts of America is a youth organization with enrollment guidelines (whether we agree with them or not) so I am not sure how that applies. As for the other community centers you mention including the one in your city, if they ever touted their existence as a place of healing for all to benefit from? You bet your life I would say they were misnomers! But it is not the same thing or situation, is it? Why not mention the woman's only workout facility Curves?

As I said before, the community center has been planned for quite a while now. It wasn't an issue until election season. Laura Ingraham of Fox News actually praised it back in December. Now - with the elections drawing near - she rails against it and has even said that building it would mean "the terrorists have won."

So your entire premise is flawed, because this wasn't controversial at the time they picked the location.

I fail to see how when this facility was planned has any bearing on how people feel about it. Whether it was planned in 1999 or yesterday, if people find it offensive, they find it offensive! Is it your place or mine to tell anyone how they should feel or why? Is something less offensive or upsetting simply because you found out about it later on? Really?

And as I also have said before, if the stated intent is bridge building and healing and community and coming together but its location offends people in that community and there is no compromise, how can my premise be flawed? Because it was planned "a while ago"?

That's obviously false, as there were Muslim victims of the terrorist attacks on September 11.

Now this is a flawed premise! Your contention is that because Muslims were killed in those attacks, that burning those books is offensive? Burning those books is offensive because it is offensive, not because of who died in those attacks!

Again, as I said in the post you quoted but that was left out, I do NOT condone the burning of ANY national or religious symbol or any kind!!

Upvote 0
That guy is a total fool generalizing a whole people like that. What a bigot!

Oh, and he cancelled the burning because all the sane people in this world criticized him for being a complete idiot, including the pope :D

Yes it is pathetic! Unfortunately, this is the same fodder anti Christians will use to generalize Christians!

It is a vicious cycle which is why these threads are typically useless for anything but bickering. Oh well!

Upvote 0
Yes it is pathetic! Unfortunately, this is the same fodder anti Christians will use to generalize Christians!

It is a vicious cycle which is why these threads are typically useless for anything but bickering. Oh well!

We should just lock up all Muslim extremists and Christian fundies, hand them knives...and the last man standing gets a "Bigot ****** Olympics" gold medal. That way the sane rest of us can go on living in peace.

Upvote 0
We should just lock up all Muslim extremists and Christian fundies, hand them knives...and the last man standing gets a "Bigot ****** Olympics" gold medal. That way the sane rest of us can go on living in peace.

I like your thinking :cool: ...but wait, what if they somehow come to a fundamental agreement with each other and decide to go after the regular normal people...with knives!!!:eek:

Upvote 0
shouldn't this be in political??

anyways they have suspended the burning

There was no deal made to halt Quran burning, Muslim leader says - CNN.com
Well reading that report suggests that the developers of the site are acting perfectly reasonably, and the pastor Jones is just either confused and in over his head, or just flat out lying to try a save face... and in over his head.

Personally I hope that the developers take up Trump on his very generous offer, and work with him and other New Yorkers(as they've said they are willing to do) to find a suitable location that doesn't cause the radical elements against Muslim to react like has been seen.

Upvote 0
In some ways this whole drama is a good thing.

It's given 99% of the world a reason to unite against fanaticism of any kind no matter what faith you follow (or don't follow) or country you come from.

Hating ''xxx ethic, social or political group'' because of the actions of a small percentage of that group is just ignorant stupidity no matter your experiences.

Also why has no one proposed the idea that there should be representative centres for each major religion at the 9/11 site, the thing that people should be aware of is tolerance.

But you cant expect the majority of the population to accept the people they see as the enemy.

There was massive out cry in Oxford (UK) when a mosque wanted to do their call to pray.

Ignorance and hate is the ''enemy'' not any group, race or religion.

Upvote 0
Bottom line: It's a small church, which has been labelled a cult. The guy is just selling his books and tapes. Meanwhile, the entire Muslim world is reacting, some violently.

It's unfortunate that evil from such a small insignificant source can get the world so worked up.

Edit: moved to politics and curr. aff.

Upvote 0
Keeping in mind i am not a religious person at all...

What kind of jackass is going to say christianity is better/more peaceful than islam? Did everyone forget the crusades? A few extremists do NOT speak for an entire religious group. Do we really want to alienate the entire muslim culture while we have troops over there? Are we really that stupid? Is this jackass "christian" preacher that much of a moron that he things burning something that is a holy symbol to a large portion of the world is going to have a positive result? I bet if someone was talking about burning crosses he would have an objection.

IMHO religion, in its up front form is a pile of crap. Its no different than any other business. There is the version of God, Allah etc that the church wants you to worship, the version they tell you about, and essentially force feed you.

Aside from my personal views on religion, I do not think that taking a sacred symbol and destroying it to make a point is an effective, rational or smart move on anyones part. I am not in favor of the islamic center at ground zero either. I dont have a problem with muslims at all, any more than I have a problem with Jews, Christians, Bhuddists etc. To each his own.

Just think about the fact that every group, religious or otherwise has its extremists. Al Sharpton is one of the biggest bags of used dog food on the planet IMO, he is nothing more than an ambulance chaser.

Timothy McVeigh, scum sucking pile of crap, who rightfully died for his crime, although far too humanely IMO.

I know i'll likely get flamed for this post, oh well. Im definitely not afraid to speak my mind, and absolutely on a subject such as idiocy on an order of magnitude such as this.

Upvote 0
Bottom line: It's a small church, which has been labelled a cult. The guy is just selling his books and tapes. Meanwhile, the entire Muslim world is reacting, some violently.

It's unfortunate that evil from such a small insignificant source can get the world so worked up.

Edit: moved to politics and curr. aff.

9/11 was perpetrated by less than 20 individuals. That was extreme evil, however that did seem to get the world worked up quite nicely.

Upvote 0
Did anyone pay attension to the media today on this subject? The Pastor was told that the Imam in NY was moving the location of the mosque and so he wasn't going to burn the books. Only to find out he was being misled.

I find that a fair trade. The mosque is legal and the burning is legal.....why not a trade to keep both sides happy? CAUSE ONE SIDE WON'T PLAY BALL.

We've been in the habit of burning all sorts of thing in the us. Why should their book not get the fire too?

Honestly I'm tired of hearing about it. Muslims don't bother me. But double standards infuriate me. As a white American male between 18 and 30 with no disabilities I always seem to draw the short stick.

Upvote 0
While not fully agreeing with the pastor, I do see his point. Jesus said "Love your enemies" but Jesus also stood what he believed in, and never once did he cave to anyone, including the devil whether it "hurt their feelings/respected them" or not. Jesus told the Devil he was evil, he didn't say " I respect your believes and opinion and lets just agree to disagree." I see it kind of odd to burn their Koran but I'm glad that he's trying to take a stand against something.

Umm no... Jesus did care about feelings and respecting them. The devil is not a human and does not count. (he is always there to try and bring everyone down. Humans can be saved. The devil cannot)

Jesus befriended the whore and helped her. He never condemned her.

Either way your whole point is ridiculous because muslims are not enemies to the christians. (in case you didn't know muslims and christians live in peace in countries like Egypt and Lebanon.) They worship the same main God. (they both follow the Old Testament.) Muslims have Muhammed as a prophet. While Christians believe Jesus is the Son of God, Muslims believe he is only a prophet.

Everyone has their extremists. There is no reason to burn their religious book because their extremists harmed our country. (by the way burning the quran is basically stooping to their extremists' level)

Upvote 0
I tend to stay away from politics and religion but this is just stupid. Burning those scriptures won't stop them from building the mosque, all it will do is get the crazies more pissed then they already are. Our troops still serving over there will be at such a high risk for violence. Every religion has crazy assholes that like to hurt or kill people, don't hold it against everyone for a fews actions.

Reactions: Weazol and hakr100
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones