• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Circle Battery Indicator

here it is

nice work man! looks good! I plan on working on everything this weekend to see what I can come up with. I'd like to get a different battery stuff in there and change the GPS icon. I also want to see if I can find a program that I can take the nextheme signal strengh bars and tint them a blue to match the GPS signal. Or I'm thinking about going green tinted bars with a green GPS icon to keep the "green android guy" colors, plus it will look good with the green letters I have on the nextheme keyboard

Reactions: ThatOneDude05
Upvote 0
Actually yea i think it is the same thing. The app i used allows me to edit the framework on the phone without using a pc. Your using the pc to do it. So yea cool. Im going to have to look into this stuff more to really customize how i want mmmyyyyy phone.

Yeah ninjamorph works well if your replacing one or two things, but when your replacing a bunch (battery images would be like 10 png's for charge and discharge) doing it on the computer is quicker. I used ninjamorph to put the android guy into my status bar drop down but id wanna shoot myself after doing it for a bunch of images lol it would take forever.

Upvote 0
nice work man! looks good! I plan on working on everything this weekend to see what I can come up with. I'd like to get a different battery stuff in there and change the GPS icon. I also want to see if I can find a program that I can take the nextheme signal strengh bars and tint them a blue to match the GPS signal. Or I'm thinking about going green tinted bars with a green GPS icon to keep the "green android guy" colors, plus it will look good with the green letters I have on the nextheme keyboard

Thanks! My weekend is going to filled up with doing this also except Saturday got a football game to go to...hopefully I can get it all done quick enough and post it on here for everyone to try.

Upvote 0
In case anyone is interested:
I run into a problem modifying framework-res.apk. You have to do all sorts of things to it if you unzip it before the system will accept it.

To circumvent this, I changed the .apk to a .zip then modified the .zip without extracting it. This seems to maintain the apks sign.

Also, when replacing the battery icons, I noticed that X doesn't use the 10% percentage values eventhough it reports the values in multiples of 10. So adding 10, 30, 50 etc... % pngs has no effect. Anyone know how to fix this?

Upvote 0
I run into a problem modifying framework-res.apk. You have to do all sorts of things to it if you unzip it before the system will accept it.

To circumvent this, I changed the .apk to a .zip then modified the .zip without extracting it. This seems to maintain the apks sign.

Also, when replacing the battery icons, I noticed that X doesn't use the 10% percentage values eventhough it reports the values in multiples of 10. So adding 10, 30, 50 etc... % pngs has no effect. Anyone know how to fix this?

thats a good hint, thanks!
with the percentage thing, are you using a theme? maybe the theme is only set to report images in values of 20%? like nextheme only has different images in 20% readings I thought I'd read somewhere, so maybe the file telling it what to display is only set to display after a 20% change?
just a thought

Upvote 0

You have to modify the stats_battery.xml which isa binary file. So convert it to text then mldify it then compile it. I can't seem to get it to work myself, but the premise is sound

Upvote 0
You have to modify the stats_battery.xml which isa binary file. So convert it to text then mldify it then compile it. I can't seem to get it to work myself, but the premise is sound

yeah thats what I was thinking about those xml files, that they basically told the phone when to display which image. and modifying xml files is way past anything I know how to do lol.

Upvote 0
That is the tool I was using, but I can't seem to get it to work. I grabbed my framework-res, decompiled everything, added the new images(10,30,50,70,90) and modified the xml. Then I recompiled. I tried resigning, as well as just grabbing the images and xml, and stuffing them in the existing framework-res, but I still can't get it to work. Usually my battery indicator is just gone. Worst case is it boot loops, and I have to recover from a backup.

Yup, I'm a newb learning to theme, the hard way.

Upvote 0
Ok, I finally got this all to work, I now have numbers in my taskbar that count down every 10% instead of 20%. It made sense once I started to look at the manifest. You can't just modify the stats_battery.xml since the apk still needs the manifest modified as well, in order to pick up the new images. The easiest guide I found was this one

[Solved!] Changing Notification Application Text Color – FroYo XML Editing | Motorola Droid X

Once you "apktool d" the file, the xml files are just text files.

Reactions: yawdapaah
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones