• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cisco Small Business products

jonbanjo

May 26, 2013
UK
Am I just unlucky or have others had problems with these?

I bought an RV180 router to find port forwarding was broken if using PPPoE making it unusable for me. About 6 moths later they released a firmware upgrade which fixed that problem so I tried it again. It wasn't long before I found other bugs (can't quite remember but I think it was to do with firewall rules) that caused me to stop using it. This time I replaced it with a TP Link which works fine.

I got an SG200-08 switch today. I spent hours trying to figure out why nfs wasn't working. I'd done a few software upgrades and changed a few things on the network and the last thing I suspected was a switch I've used before and liked. I was really cursing by the time I thought to plug my laptop directly to the PC with the shares, then try another switch to finally identify the problem. I then searched and found (amongst other things) this article where someone else had similar problems. Turns out Cisco's latest firmware for the switch prevents nfs and the solution is to downgrade the firmware.

A router that wouldn't port forward and a switch that blocks nfs really has got me wondering about their quality control.

Am I just unlucky or have others had problems with these?
I don't have any experience with these products at all, but just wanted to say I feel your pain. I know what it's like when something that should work doesn't, and then you find out why and the answer doesn't even make sense--like downgrading its firmware. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones