City Id appSupport

Last Updated:

1. stowell48

stowell48 Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 30, 2010
    Does anyone use the city ID feature that came with your droid X? I like how it shows the city that the call is coming from.

It is free for I think the first 30 days. After which to keep using it you will need to pay 1.99 per month.

Anyone know of a free app that would do the same thing? 1.99 a month is pretty ridiculous for what it does.

2. jayloren724

jayloren724 Member

Jul 17, 2010
    iirc it was a 15 day trial, i got mine day after launch and it's expired already. i agree, it's a nice convenience, but not for 1.99/month. 1.99 once, maybe; but definitely not monthly.

curious to know if there is an equivalent app myself.
  3. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

May 15, 2010
    I can't imagine anyone would pay that much for it.

There is another app that works much the same. I don't think it inserts the data in the call log, but it does show on screen when the call comes in.

Google "city caller ID xda" and you'll find the .apk. It works fine on the Droid X.

I got in trouble here when I posted the .apk.

Seems that the developer got a C&D from the City ID people, so it'll never get updated, but if you can find, no one is going to stop you from using it.
    JubbaTheHutt and jayloren724 like this.
  4. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    I had it when I used my old LG Voyager, but that was when money wasn't a problem and I thought it just made my phone seem a little bit cooler.

Unless you travel a lot for business or something, or simply know a lot of people from all around the state/country, I see no point in using the app for $1.99/month. Everyone who calls me is from the same city and we only have two area codes, which I know by heart, so it doesn't really serve much purpose to me.

If you still really want something similar, there's a paid app for Whitepages that checks the Caller ID.

WhitePages with Caller ID - Android app on AppBrain

It's price is rather steep at $6.99, but it's only a one-time fee and it comes with far more features than City-ID. If the number calling you isn't that of another cellphone, then the app should display residential/business information along with the location, as shown in the screenshot above.