• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

City ID = Mystery $1.99 charge on my bill

youngdoc

Mar 9, 2010
I noticed a charge for $1.99 on my Verizon bill today that had no explanation except "data," which made no sense. I looked back through my past bills and sure enough, the charge was there in April, May, and June, associated with my Thunderbolt, which I purchased in March. Not a coincidence.

I called Verizon, and the charge was for my "use" of the City ID bloatware. As far as I know, I never opened that useless app until last week, when I uninstalled it. I had it on my Incredible as well (and maybe even my Eris) and never used it/was never charged for it. I have no idea why I was being charged for it on my TBolt. I complained and Verizon removed the charges.

All the more reason to follow these instructions:

http://androidforums.com/htc-thunderbolt/304994-how-remove-city-id-software.html

I noticed a charge for $1.99 on my Verizon bill today that had no explanation except "data," which made no sense. I looked back through my past bills and sure enough, the charge was there in April, May, and June, associated with my Thunderbolt, which I purchased in March. Not a coincidence.

I called Verizon, and the charge was for my "use" of the City ID bloatware. As far as I know, I never opened that useless app until last week, when I uninstalled it. I had it on my Incredible as well (and maybe even my Eris) and never used it/was never charged for it. I have no idea why I was being charged for it on my TBolt. I complained and Verizon removed the charges.

All the more reason to follow these instructions:

http://androidforums.com/htc-thunderbolt/304994-how-remove-city-id-software.html
If nothing popped up telling you that the trial had stopped and if you would like to continue using it for said price. Then I would be telling verizon to return my money. As you didn't install city id but they did.

Upvote 0
If you're a victim of this (as my wife was), call and ask for your money back. They'll explain that they didn't make the charge, City ID did. Explain you haven't used it and want something done about it and have no business relationship with City ID, but you do with Verizon, whose poor security allowed this to happen.

Suggest a goodwill credit equivalent to the number of months that you've been billed and you will find they will pay up if asked nicely

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones