Clarification of 2.1Support

Last Updated:

1. numus

numus Banned This Topic's Starter

Clarification is in order.

The facts are easiest
    - This is a STOCK 2.1 kernel from sprint. We can not make a proper 2.1 kernel until we have the source. Joey did not optimize this kernel, nor can we since it is a compiled binary. Joey's method for root is NOT implemented in the kernel, we found a way (thanks to LeshaK) to implement root independent of the kernel.

If anyone claims they can make a custom kernel right now they are full of CRAP. Without the source code (which will be released when sprint/samsung releases the official update) then we can compile a new kernel, but right now all proprietary drivers/libraries that are in the kernel are stuck in there and there is no way to get them back out (decompiling a linux kernel is considered incredibly hard to do).. This means i can't recode the battery, joey can't recompile with an optimized toolchain, or anything else...

Advertisement
    latinmaxima and Mw182006 like this.
  2. duratime

duratime Well-Known Member

Can you briefly describe what the benefit is of things like Joey's V5? I installed it, but I have no idea what the benefit is?

3. dreze88

dreze88 Well-Known Member

Joey's V5 is root access. You can uninstall unwanted stock apps, and MUCH more. Do not tinker with apps that are not approved by advanced users (check out sdx developers) to remove since you can brick your phone. :D If you need help pm me or look at various threads regarding root. Good luck.

duratime likes this.
  4. numus

numus Banned This Topic's Starter

Joey's V5 is the 5th (get the 5 part :) ) attempt to achieving root access WITHOUT direct kernel manipulation (every other root that you have seen for the moment except the bltd_testmode method has been implemented in the kernel).. The 5th version (the one that actually works) was a complete recode and built upon LeshaK's work for the i5700... What it does is load the root (su) into violatile memory (RAM) where android system can't mess with it... before we were attempting to load it in ROM and android kept removing the SUID bit basically making it worthless... all it allows you to do is gain root access, it does not optimize the OS or Kernel or do ANYTHING ELSE...

duratime likes this.