• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Clarification on App Storage and Other Verizon Q's

drpotter2807

Jun 13, 2010
Deep South
I am considering switching to the SG4 from a Galaxy Nexus. I am on Verizon and will be purchasing outright to keep my Unlimited Data (which I DO actually use). I checked my stats on my current phone and as of now I am using less than 2GB of App Storage. So this makes me think I will be fine with a 16gb (although I'd be getting the 32 GB if it were available or even it it was confirmed it WOULD be available shortly). I just want to make sure I will be ok. I use Double Twist for music and Audible for audiobooks. This is where I download most of my stuff. These downloads...even though they would be using the apps... the "app data" could be stored on my microsd card right?

If I take the total storage I am using on my phone RIGHT NOW its at 12GB. I know most of that is music, audiobooks and pictures. I'm not a gamer.

So all of that stuff can be stored on the microsd and used without problem right?

Also...anything I need to make sure I do correctly to keep my unlimited data when purchasing and activating the new (full price) phone? I don't have a Verizon corp store here (only crappy reseller) so I'm purchasing online.

Thanks so much for the help!!!
R

good on you for planning to keep your unlimited data plan. verizon is doing all they can to push people off of it.

although i don't use cloud services, the hotspot feature has been invaluable to me over the years. although i could probably go with a 4gb cap i'd rather keep my unlimited and not worry about it.

Upvote 0
You cannot store app data on the SD card without resorting to hackery.

However, if you aren't a gamer, it won't matter. The big users of storage space on your phone will be music, photos and videos, all of which you can store on the SD card and games, which you cannot. I only have 4GB free on mine but Modern Combat takes up 2GB and Sygic (satnav) a further 1GB. All of the other 50 odd apps don't use even a small fraction of what Sygic uses so, if you don't play HD games, you will not have a problem with space.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones