Clarification on App Storage and Other Verizon Q'sGeneral

1. drpotter2807

drpotter2807 Well-Known Member

I am considering switching to the SG4 from a Galaxy Nexus. I am on Verizon and will be purchasing outright to keep my Unlimited Data (which I DO actually use). I checked my stats on my current phone and as of now I am using less than 2GB of App Storage. So this makes me think I will be fine with a 16gb (although I'd be getting the 32 GB if it were available or even it it was confirmed it WOULD be available shortly). I just want to make sure I will be ok. I use Double Twist for music and Audible for audiobooks. This is where I download most of my stuff. These downloads...even though they would be using the apps... the "app data" could be stored on my microsd card right?

If I take the total storage I am using on my phone RIGHT NOW its at 12GB. I know most of that is music, audiobooks and pictures. I'm not a gamer.

So all of that stuff can be stored on the microsd and used without problem right?

Also...anything I need to make sure I do correctly to keep my unlimited data when purchasing and activating the new (full price) phone? I don't have a Verizon corp store here (only crappy reseller) so I'm purchasing online.

Thanks so much for the help!!!
    R

Advertisement
  2. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

As will the majority of folks, you will be fine :) Nice device, as long as you know your capacity wants and needs. Just put your media on the sd card and suggest setting pictures and video save defaults there too.
    drpotter2807 likes this.
  3. BzB

BzB Well-Known Member

good on you for planning to keep your unlimited data plan. verizon is doing all they can to push people off of it.

although i don't use cloud services, the hotspot feature has been invaluable to me over the years. although i could probably go with a 4gb cap i'd rather keep my unlimited and not worry about it.
  4. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

You cannot store app data on the SD card without resorting to hackery.

However, if you aren't a gamer, it won't matter. The big users of storage space on your phone will be music, photos and videos, all of which you can store on the SD card and games, which you cannot. I only have 4GB free on mine but Modern Combat takes up 2GB and Sygic (satnav) a further 1GB. All of the other 50 odd apps don't use even a small fraction of what Sygic uses so, if you don't play HD games, you will not have a problem with space.