Clarifying MHL adapters for the S4 (tested on mine today)Tips

1. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Thought I would start a thread to put this out there, since I know a number of people are confused or uncertain about which MHL adapters work with the S4.

Firstly, the S4 uses an 11-pin MHL configuration, as the S3 and Note 2 did. Secondly, it is the first MHL 2.0 spec device.

MHL 2.0 adapters do not require a charging input, however if you do have one connected they double the charging power going into the connected device (hopefully will finally solve the issue of power slowly dissipating when using MHL). They also increase output to 60Hz/60fps from 30hz on MHL 1.0 spec devices. Apparently 3D content can now be mirrored too.

I have tested it a little today and can confirm the following:

S3/Note 2 11-pin MHL adapters will work with the S4 also, older 5-pin adapters will not (you can get an adapter to allow them to work though).

The Smart Dock also works with the S4.

The S4 MHL 2.0 adapter does indeed work without a charging input.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement
    :
    dynomot, rushmore, davoid and 2 others like this.
  2. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

Are we going to see another of your awesome connectivity videos like you did with the S3? :)
  3. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Of course! So far that has been my blockbuster YouTube video, deserves a sequel.
    davoid likes this.
  4. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

It certainly does. :)

How are you liking the S4 btw? (Don't want to go too off-topic - I imagine there is also a review in the works? Audio quality etc.?)
  5. Jori

Jori New Member

New to this forum, and I came accross your post from a google search.

My problem is this: I use the Galaxy Note 1 with the MHL-HDMI dongle to connect to an external screen. With latest Android version everything is now smooth and stable. However as I have experienced and also learned from other forum posts, the Galaxy Note 1 does not support live video stream from the G-Note 1 camera through the MHL connector onto the external screen. The external screen then goes black.

The question I would like to get the answer to is this:
    With the new MHL 2.0 standard on the S4 AND the next Galaxy Note 3
    will these devices be able to show the live stream from the camera through the new MHL 2.0 dongle onto an external screent.

I have called the Samsung support phone, but they are not able to provide me with any information.

Any input from your experience is appreciated
  6. dynomot

dynomot VIP Member VIP Member

7. Jori

Jori New Member

Quick update: According to US Samsung support the US versions of S4 & GNote3 are capable, but will need SW update to enable in the future due to current licencing or other restrictions.
    Norwegian & Swedish Support claims the European version will work. However the MHL 2.0 adapter is not yet available.

Just recently ordered the Minx NeoX7. I'll drop this for now and try to use mirracast with Samsung link to do the same through wifi. :cool: