• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Clash of the Titans

Banished Angel

Android Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2012
IN, USA
We all know the Google I/O is almost upon us and that the newest version of Android is around the corner. The familiar faces in aftermarket ROMs have been busy as usual.

Cyanogenmod - just released their second RC for CM10.1 - The end is near

AOKP - Has atleast 1 Milestone build - well known for extensive customization

Paranoid Android - Stable PA 3.15 build and Alpha 3.5 build - Introduced PIE controls and Halo to us

There are numerous other ROMs out there, but let's be honest most of their coding is based off of the three listed above.

The point of this thread isn't to play favorites or make people upset, but the question is simple:

Which ROM has brought more to us in Android 4.2?

CyanogenMod is the standard with AOSP roms. I don't personally use them, but many developers use CM as the foundations of their own ASOP rom, and devices that don't have CM support are generally dead as a developer community. PA and AOKP bring great things to the devices they support, and I personally use AOKP on my Nexus 4 until I can get my own port of Elemental X figured out.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
I'm an AOKP guy myself. Running the latest nightly and I love the ribbon feature. I've played with Halo but it isn't fully flesh out, but I knew that before giving it the old college try. And built in pie is cool, but I like LMT's app based implementation and have used it on and off since ICS on my now retired GNex. I give the nod to AOKP because of the way they implement things so nicely and generally bug free. It's been a long time since I remember a buggy AOKP release.

#swag

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones