Class 10 SD cards on HERO

Last Updated:

1. nmccallum

nmccallum Member This Topic's Starter

I'm looking to upgrade my SD from a 8GB/class 4 to a 16GB card. Can anyone confirm that class 10 cards work in the Hero.

From the quick searching I've done, it looks like people have only tried class 6...

Cheers

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Class 10 (a) hasn't been commonly available until now and (b) has only recently been ratified by the SD Association. You may be trail-blazing on this one. ;)

The only issue I can see is the requirement for Class 10 to use the "High Speed Bus I/F", as opposed to the "Normal Bus I/F" of Class 2/4/6. If the Hero's controller doesn't support the faster interface than my guess is that a Class 10 will function perfectly well but only achieve at best Class 6 performance.

nmccallum likes this.
  3. nmccallum

Nice one, thanks Slug. I'm gunna take the plunge regardless if it ends up acting as class 6.

Can anyone suggest accurate ways of testing the speed once I grab this thing?

4. smakme7757

smakme7757 Well-Known Member

I swapped out the Class 2 2gb standard card for a Class 6 8gb card and don't notice any performance increase apart from the transfer speed between the PC and the Phone over USB.

I've noticed a few Class 10 becoming available now i'd be interested in hearing how it goes :)

5. nmccallum

I got my card on Friday and ran some tests that I posted here. Comparing my results to the others in the thread would be inaccurate as its a Samsung thread, but just between the two cards I tested the results were pretty clear:

The Hero's bus supports Class 10 cards!

Going from a Class 4 8GB to a Class 10 16GB, write speeds increased by slightly >100%, and read speeds by roughly 30%.

I'm sort of at odds about the read speeds, I was hoping to see better results, as I assume that would have the most effect on phone responsiveness. Unfortunately I haven't come across a good way to measure that...

Any way, Class 10 cards are a thumbs up!

6. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Frankly i'm surprised that you saw such a big increase in read speeds - the class of a card only defines its write speeds, which are slow for flash memory - historically read speeds have been so fast regardless of class that nobody has bothered to classify them.

7. nmccallum

Yeah I thought it a bit hinky that I jumped from 9MB/sec reads to 13MB/sec reads when others using class 4 and even class 2 cards were pulling at speeds of 13-15MB/sec. I'll have to investigate it further.

8. shilent

shilent Member

I seem to be getting really slow write speeds on my Patriot 4GB class 10 micro SD card. When transferring like a 700MB file, I'm only getting about 2.2 MB/s write speed. With my stock SD card I'm getting over 5 MB/s. Same results with benchmarking programs.

nmccallum, could you try transferring a large file to your phone and post results?