• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Class 2 micro SDHC is enough for 720p video

supposedly it has to do with th e"buffering" that recording devices do before writing to their storage. if the device records too much to memory and cannot write it fast enough it will crash the app, then one thing will happen... the developer took this into account and the app will end the recording nicely (still use-able) and may or may not FC the app, or the the app will just $h!+ on you and spit out a garbage file, or the app will $h!+ on you and not leave you any file.

That said I am still using the stock SDHC due to not having any decent SDHC in stock at RS when I got my phone. I have recorded at most 3 mins of 720p and have not seen any problems so far...

It also has to do with the fragmentation of the SDHC card, the more data on the SDHC the more likely your card will ONLY have small groupings of data blocks available for the app to write to, this takes longer and can cause the memory buffer to fill up faster, bringing you back to my first point...

HOWEVER (yes again) it has been shown that the Evo's 720p video files are significantly smaller than a dedicated video device that records 720p due to insane compression (I have not verified this fact), this would allow the Evo to bypass the write speed issue of SD cards.

one last note... using a 3rd party video recording app (not the built-in camcorder) that "supports" the 720p recording of the Evo may not utilize the "super compression" that the stock app uses, and will result in the afore mentioned write speed problem.

In the end, if it works, you like it, then be happy and use the $h!+ out of it!!!
If you don't like it, or it doesn't work... upgrade it. me I will be upgrading it to a Class 6 because I frequently copy digital copy movies to my Evo to take to work and play while I am working (with my headphones on), deleting them, and putting new ones on for the next day. This takes a lot of time with Class 2 SDHC cards...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones