Class 2 or class 6 microsdhc?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. Stolirocks

Stolirocks Banned This Topic's Starter

Hi, I'm eagerly anticipating my new evo soon and am wondering if a class 2 16gb card will be fast enough, or should I get a faster (and more $) class 6 card?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

deff a class 6 cause this is a multimedia device

Stolirocks likes this.
  3. Stolirocks

Stolirocks Banned This Topic's Starter

ok thanks thats what I figured. I'll get a class 6 then, thanks!

4. kimrari

kimrari Member

If the EVO ships with a 2GB card, I will certainly upgrade to a 16GB Class 6 Micro SDHC. The write speed is significantly faster:

Since this is a multimedia device, most of us will be transferring a significant amount of music and video to and from the device. Better write times (and read times) will definitely be a plus.

Hope it helps!

5. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

To be honest get the fastest you can afford.

At 2MB/s transfer rate. Then you take a standard 720x480 movie and use handbrake to convert it to about 800 MB file.

That is only 400 secs of load time. The move is 5400 secs long.

To full bore the 2MB/s transfer rate, you would have to do a file size of
    7,200MB. Or a standard uncompressed dvd.

Then at 4MB/s you would need 14,400 mb file, or the size of a blue-ray.

To max out a 6MB/s card you can go with a 21,000MB file. Larger then any movie file.

But if you are using any kind of good compression, a class two will handle most media you can throw at it.

To be safe I go with the class 4 cards. Class 6 and class 10 are nice, when you are using them for os's. But for media it is really not that needed.

I have class 2, 4 and 6 cards. And to be honest watching the standard compressed video you really do not see any difference.

If you want to record video from the phone then I would say the min. would be a class 4. But class 6 cards are really pointless. You would have to move more then 11 GB/hour to make it worth it.

Since you are watching only movies and music. There is no way you can watch 11 GB/hour on a phone.

If you like to play video games off the sd and listen to music, then get the class 4. If you like to run a video game, watch a movie, and listen to music, then get some professional help, but a class 6 will cover you until the pills kick in.

6. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. Camslam

Camslam Well-Known Member

Ok, so if I am mainly interested in playing music and converted tv shows and movies from my phone, a class 4 is going to be the best option?

Not too big on video games and most likely won't be, but definitely will want the movies and music.

How much of an effect would using a class 2 be for playback of movies and such?

8. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

one at a time it'd be fine but loading the library for the first time will be very slow... as well as putting the media ONTO the drive... basically they will all work fine, but they defiantly get better the higher up you go, just meet your budget somewhere to find your happy medium :)

9. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

The playback should not be effected. Only the time it takes to down load to a card.

To give you a real world test.

I have a 8gb class 6.
    I also have sitting in front of me a class 2 1gb.

Speed downloading a 602 mb movie file is....
    Class 6= 53 secs.
    Class 2=1min 38 secs

Watching video on each card, using my phone, I can not tell the difference between them. Maybe the Class 2 stalls slightly at the first loading by only by a few seconds. Play back is nice, and same video quality.

The question you have to ask yourself. Is the 45 secs extra downloading (per 602MB) time really worth the extra cash.

For me, not really.

10. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

interesting, ROI. I have a class 6 16gb sd card but from what you're saying a class 4 might suffice...I'm waiting for the 32gb micro ones to hit the shelves. from what i see only the standard size 32gbs are available.

11. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

I'm running a 16gb class 2 card and have no problems wastching videos. Download speed meant very little to my choice. I'm usually doing other things while it's copying files.

12. treefq

treefq Active Member

When you snap an 8MP picture do you know what the write time to the card will be? Class 6 is the way to go.

13. hitekalex

hitekalex Well-Known Member

Don't waste your money on Class-6 cards. You will see no real difference between Class-2 and Class-6 for vast majority of phone use cases.

Is saving a few extra seconds during those rare occasions you transfer large files from your PC really all that important? Unless you are truly "spec obsessed" - buying the flash cards with the fastest write speeds for a phone doesn't make a lot of sense.

14. treefq

treefq Active Member

8GB class 6 cards are under $20. Thats not a waste or bad. The 16GB cards are still expensive atm though. You can get two 8's for cheaper.

15. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

I'd rather have one 16gb Class 2 than two 8gb Class 6 cards and not have to pull the battery and restart every time I want to switch out cards. The only difference I've noticed between the two is transfer times from the laptop to the phone, and I'm usually doing other things while that's happening.

ImGreen likes this.
  16. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Unless you are taking 7-9 frames per second. Or you are trying to shoot 1080p. Then you will not use 6MBps.

If you plan on shooting a lot of video in really contrasty areas. Then a class 4 will do you fine.

But it is about cost vs speed. I never said dont get the class 6. I said get what you can afford, but do not break the budget.

For example. Current amazon prices.

16gb class2=40-50 bucks
    16gb class4=60-70 bucks
    16gb class6=70-90 bucks

Remember is it always better to get a good class 2 then a cheap class 4.

Because it is min. writing/reading speed, not max.

For the money I would say, a class 4 is about as much as I want to spend.

17. nancyh1990

nancyh1990 Well-Known Member

RiverOfIce, what brand is quality that suffices to you?

18. gibsonhtp

gibsonhtp Well-Known Member

19. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Anything that say lifetime warranty.

In no order.

Kingston or a-data

I can say I have had and used

sandisk, trancent, rosewell, and lexar.

No big problems.

When it comes down to it. I buy what ever is the cheapest, the size I need, and made by a name I know.

For the most part that is kingston, but sandisk and trancent have jumped on with no problems.

20. capthr

capthr Well-Known Member

21. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Be extremely careful of ebay cards. It is a hot bed for counterfeit cards.

[​IMG]eBay Guides - FAKE SanDisk Extreme Compact Flash Cards Exposed [​IMG]

eBay Guides - BEWARE SD flash memory card SCAMS on ebay [​IMG]eBay Guides - Fake 8Gb SanDisk-like noname card's anatomy. Updated

Ebay - Paypal Review | Rip-off Report

The list goes on. ONLY buy from a ebay internal store, if you have done business before, or has a really good return policy and positive feedback.

Remember, if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is.

NeoteriX and ImGreen like this.
  22. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

The 32GB MicroSD cards are out. Retail price of $199 :(

I'm sure they'll be cheaper once you can order them from someone besides JUST the manufacturer (SanDisk). If they don't drop, I'll just pick up a couple of 16GB ones.

23. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

Got my a-data 16gig class 6 for 64 bucks on amazon. I'm now leaning to getting the fastest possible since native app2sd will be coming and every bit of speed helps.

24. capthr

capthr Well-Known Member

I know you are attempting to be helpful but I don't need a lecture on purchasing from Ebay or anywhere else. I do my homework before I purchase if you think $29.99 sounds too good to be true then YOU haven't.

nancyh1990 likes this.
  25. LatinP

LatinP Well-Known Member

Woah, that's a gross over estimate, the minimum speed of a class 2 card nearly quadruples the speed needed for something as simple as running an app.