Class 2 vs. Class 6 vs. 8???Accessories

1. Treikens

Treikens Member

Alright I want to know which card to get for my G1.

There are many class 6es on newegg for under $20 now. but they are all only 8gbs

The Sandisk 16gb is about $50bucks on ebay but it's only class 2.

And I've heard on some forums that if you look hard enough you can find the class 8 8gb sandisk made, price unknown.

Now price isn't a big deal, I can save up. so don't say "it depends on your budget" I think the 16gbs would be sweet but not if my phone would load things slower than a class 6 card.

I am not concerned about the transfer speeds getting things on the card from the pc.

So bottomline I want to know: Does the phone take a little longer to load things on a class 2 card than on a class 6? and if it's noticeable, like does it take 3more seconds to load or 3more minutes! ya know?

Thanks guys,
    Long time reader, 1st time poster...I think
    ~Treikens!

Advertisement
  2. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Well-Known Member

When you hear class ratings for SD cards, the rating is about write speed.

Class 2: 2 MB/s
    Class 4: 4 MB/s
    Class 6: 6 MB/s

If you dont need super fast write speeds (i.e you arent writing continuous data to the card like video) then the higher class cards wont give you any benefit at all.
  3. Treikens

Treikens Member

so watching a video or loading a ton of pictures on a class 6 memory card wouldn't be anyfaster than on a class 2 memory card?
  4. N3TWORK BURN3R

N3TWORK BURN3R Well-Known Member

I just bought myself an 8GB Kingston and it was the new Class 4 HCSD, and i decided to do a speed test on it using HD Tach and it was ALOT faster than 4MB. It was something like 40-50MB in speeds....i think HD Tach was botched.
  5. XFreeRollerX

XFreeRollerX Well-Known Member

I can let you know how the phone runs with different class cards

I had a CLASS 2 16GB micro sdhc card but it died on me, I have a CLASS 6 16GB MicroSDHC card coming in, should be here by tomorrow... Ill let you know how it works.. it was expensive though.. $100
  6. XFreeRollerX

XFreeRollerX Well-Known Member

CLASS 6 16GB memory card is pure god damn win.

pictures no longer take forever to load, lag time between music/song changes is much faster (less lag time) and loading up downloaded items isn't as bad.

Overall: worth the cost!
  7. N3TWORK BURN3R

N3TWORK BURN3R Well-Known Member

Stock 1GB cards are class 6. I bought an 8GB class 4 saw little no benefit from it. But 16GB is pure sex....