Accessories class 6 memory card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gurmukhp, Aug 18, 2010.

1. gurmukhp

gurmukhp Active Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Hi there,

I have a class 6 sandisk card in my desire but am wondering if it is actually as fast as it should be. Videos are laggy amongst other things.

I have downloaded a SD card speed test from the market. The results were 13mb/s to write(quite good I thought) but the read speed was only 5mbps/s.

Anyone know if those values are expected?

Thx!

Advertisement

2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    Authoritative read speed ratings are hard to come by. Not even the SDcard organisation lists that information, and googling brings forth a number of different "theoretical" numbers (all of them non-authoritative).

Sorry...

3. KlaymenDK

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    The other day I bought a Kingston Class 4 card. I just came across this thread again, and figured I'd test my card (with SD Card Speed Test), which was rather disappointing!

• Read: 3Mb/s
    • Write: 2Mb/s
    • Rating: Class 2
    Several runs (even with everything else shut down) confirm the result. WTF?! :thinking:

4. gurmukhp

gurmukhp Active Member

Jul 12, 2010
    There could be many reasons. Is the Kingston card legit? You might be able to check that on their website using the serial number?

5. KlaymenDK

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    It should be legit, I bought the card in a main street store with full packaging. Where do I find the serial number, and do you know where exactly on their site I can check that (or did you simply mean, contact their support)?

6. Tunga

Tunga Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    I bought a class 6 Samsung, I get 5Mb read and 4Mb write.

The lesson here is: buy a Sandisk.

7. PsychoMania

PsychoMania Active Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Lancs, UK
  8. fried

fried Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2010
    I've got a Transcend 8 GB class 6 card which I tested with the app mentioned above: -

Read speed - 12 MB/s
    Write speed - 13 MB/s

I wouldn't necessarily trust results from that app though. Try programs such as HD Tune or H2testw.

9. KlaymenDK

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    All the shops around here sell unmarked Sandisk items, which on very close inspection are Class 2. I've not seen a single faster Sandisk item. (I prefer a real shop over paying a cheaper price on eBay but then 3x that amount on shipping.)

Good point. Except, the only micro sdcard slot I own is in my Desire. :eek: I don't suppose mounting it via USB(2) is a very good idea for this type of testing, is it?

Thought: I hope it's not the Desire (hardware/software) that's limiting the card! :thinking:

10. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    In theory it should be the same all the built in card reader connect internally to the USB bus. So unless the desire is being a bottleneck the results should be very similar.

11. KlaymenDK

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    All my tests confirm it: My card is not fast enough to earn the Class 4 rating printed on it. I hope the store will take it back. maybe I should (also) contact Kingston directly.

Attached Files:

12. srhplover

srhplover Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2010
  13. KlaymenDK

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    I used the complaint form at Kingston's web site the day before yesterday, and have yet to receive even an acknowledgement. :(

I'm taking the card back to the shop this afternoon.

Tags: