• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help clean master

Putting to rest the myths about Task Killers/RAM Optimizers and the like

Clean Master will do a lot more harm to your phone's performance than good, and the company behind it are notorious data-thieves and spammers. Whatever else you do, delete that and any other Cheetah Mobile apps.

And the "keeping restarting" is part of why these things are worse than useless. Android works on Linux principles for managing RAM, and will keep previously or frequently used apps dormant in memory to save power (empty RAM is wasted RAM). Killing them just wastes energy, since the phone will dump them itself if it needs the RAM and otherwise they will most likely be reloaded after you kill them, all you are doing is confusing the OS's process management. If you have a rogue app then identify it and get rid of it, otherwise you genuinely will be better off leaving stuff alone.

And you'd need root privileges to do what you are actually asking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clean Master will do a lot more harm to your phone's performance than good, and the company behind it are notorious data-thieves and spammers. Whatever else you do, delete that and any other Cheetah Mobile apps.

And the "keeping restarting" is part of why these things are worse than useless. Android works on Linux principles for managing RAM, and will keep previously or frequently used apps dormant in memory to save power (empty RAM is wasted RAM). Killing them just wastes energy, since the phone will dump them itself if it needs the RAM and otherwise they will most likely be reloaded after you kill them, all you are doing is confusing the OS's process management. If you have a rogue app then identify it and get rid of it, otherwise you genuinely will be better off leaving stuff alone.

Thank
Thank you

Upvote 0

Anything for junk files?

Upvote 0
I never worry about junk files. If you do uninstalling apps by:
Settings > Apps > Force stop > Storage > Clear cache > Clear data > Uninstall
Little or nothing is left behind. If anything, probably empty directories which use virtually no space.

If you still think you need a cleaner app for junk files, caches, etc, (you really don't) and just can't resist the urge to use one (you really should resist) then the best cleaner I've seen is SD Maid.

But...it is a powerful set of tools. And use of tools like this are seldom, usually never, actually needed. Use it very rarely, with extreme care and at your own risk!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.thedarken.sdm

Upvote 0
Wow, I had wondered about that. Good thing I asked, and thanks for the quick reply. I recently uninstalled clean master and put DU cleaner on because the tablet was getting slow and the booster seemed to help. I left the apps on that the tablet came with because I was afraid of ruining something but I only downloaded a few others. Is there a better way to deal with the problem if the tablet slows down or are there preloaded apps that don't need to be there?

Upvote 0
Wow, I had wondered about that. Good thing I asked, and thanks for the quick reply. I recently uninstalled clean master and put DU cleaner on because the tablet was getting slow and the booster seemed to help. I left the apps on that the tablet came with because I was afraid of ruining something but I only downloaded a few others. Is there a better way to deal with the problem if the tablet slows down or are there preloaded apps that don't need to be there?

Read through the link that Hadron posted above. It will teach you about how Android works and how task killers are counter productive and also how to handle the issues.

What phone/model or carrier do you have?

What android version is your phone?

Upvote 0
I have an asus memo tablet with Android 4.4.2. Halfway through reading Hadron's article I ran to get it and uninstalled all those apps. I had used them frequently. Have I done lasting damage to this thing?

Funny, I have an Asus memopad8 and also on kitkat. It's RAM is limited so I have to remove apps that I really don't use. I did root it so i uninstalled alot of Asus bloat. I use Nova Launcher Prime on it so it runs alot smoother than the stock launcher (for me). YMMV.

Keep the apps light (meaning remove apps you don't use). Disable any Asus bloatware (if it allows you to). If you do need to clear cache, do it in the settings of the tablet. It is built in. I don't kill tasks and it runs faster than when I bought it. It still lags but it is minimal with Nova Launcher.

Upvote 0
Like I said, I'm new to this realm. What exactly constitutes bloatware and hat is necessary for the device to run properly. I don't use Facebook or most social media, but I do use google+ and play store.

Yes. you have to be careful on the asus bloatware. I can't remember what is safe to disable and what is not. Some you can't even disable so you are pretty much stuck with them. Google + app is a space hog so I use the browser to access it. It looks just like the app so I'd recommend that. Playstore you need to keep.

Upvote 0
Good. Cleanmaster give you the false sense that it is "fixing" an issue when it really isn't. It makes the device work harder which drains the battery. Android is capable of handling itself most of the time. The issue is that the Asus Memopads are now old and the RAM is really too low to handle the current versions of apps.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
so then I wonder when I will have to replace my tablet with a newer one. If it works fine now, how much longer can I expect it to?

That's going to be up to you and how you use your tablet.

I currently use my Memopad 8 for Google Chromecast and as a secondary device for browsing when a laptop or my phone are not available. Sometimes I use it for Netflix if I want to watch without using the TV. My phone is really my primary device. It (Memopad 8) is too slow for games for my son. He would rather use his LG Leon, which is actually a decent phone for browsing and YouTube. I'm thinking of selling it but I'm lazy lol.

Reactions: shelemrakefet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones