Cleaning tarnish/corrosion on external charging contacts?Support

1. tmcdonal

tmcdonal Member

To maintain the integrity of the o-rings, I use the Commando charging dock 99.9% of the time. I also take the phone in my PFD when kayak fishing in saltwater. Over time, the contacts have become tarnished at times (green buildup), where I can't get it to charge. The only solution I've found is to use a metal dental pick to scrape it off, but I'm not really keen on scraping metal to metal over a long term.

Does anyone know of any cleansers that would be effective without damaging the plastic case? This is such a small, recessed area, that it's hard to get anything in there to "buff it it out". Thanks.

-Tom

Advertisement
  2. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

Alcohol? I've heard of people using alcohol and a qtip for cleaning electronics
  3. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Well-Known Member

I use to use pencils eraser to clean contacts on ram. The kind found on number 2 school pencils
  4. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

i've done this as well on my smart card for work
  5. tmcdonal

tmcdonal Member

I've done this too, but these are pretty small recessed contacts. I've ordered something from Amazon. I'll post a follow-up.

-Tom
  6. tmcdonal

tmcdonal Member

I got this in today:
    Amazon.com: DeoxIT, 25cc Precision Dispenser

It works extremely well, and has solved this problem. You apply, wipe off the oxidation, then repeat as necessary. It's slightly oily, so it's supposed to leave a protective coating. Not sure how well that will last, but you use so little that the the bottle should last half a lifetime.

-Tom
  7. callmecolt

callmecolt Well-Known Member

I used a q-tip and wiped it a few times with tap water. Have to do it every month or so, depending on how dirty I get it.