Cleaning the GalaxySupport

1. williamharv

williamharv Member

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting the galaxy s4 pretty soon, and I wanted to know how safe it would be to wipe the front with an antibacterial wipe. I do this often, and when I do I dry it off with a towel straight after. I currently own an iPhone 4 and it seems to be working fine from being cleaned often (it is a little slow, however I have owned it for the past 2-3 years).

Also, as a side question, does the home button on the galaxy break often and is it safe to replace the stock battery with another battery from lets say eBay which has more capacity?

Advertisement
    :
  2. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

It should be safe to do this provided the wipe is not too wet and is alcohol based as it will evaporate quickly. The issue you may have in the long term though is that it will eat away at the oleophobic coating.
  3. williamharv

williamharv Member

What happens if that coating is eaten away? Also, would getting non alcoholic wipes help at all?
  4. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

This was raised in another thread recently. You can use wipes that are designed to cleaning spectacles safely but really there is no need to use anything other than a microfibre cloth. If there are any germs on your phone, you put them there so they aren't going to pose a health hazard.

You can replace the battery no problem but the batteries you may have seen on eBay claiming to be high capacity aren't (unless you are talking about the bigger extended batteries that require a new back cover because they are larger than the standard battery).

The capacity of the battery is limited by its physical size. If a cheap battery is the same size as the standard one, it will almost certainly have a lower capacity not higher, despite what claims the battery itself or the seller may make.
    williamharv likes this.
  5. williamharv

williamharv Member

Thank you for your reply lotus :) I think I'll try and find some lens wipes, a microfibre cloth has just never done it for me in the past. Also, glad I haven't purchased a spare battery yet then, maybe I will just stick with a portable charger or a similar sized battery and charging that :)

Does anyone know about the durability of the home button? My current iPhone and many others seem to break often (not because of the cleaning, happened before I started doing that) and I don't want the same to happen to my galaxy.
  6. sincarafan

sincarafan Well-Known Member

The home button is pretty solid imo.
  7. williamharv

williamharv Member

Thanks sincara :)

One more thing, does a screen protector help at all? Like am I able to use alcoholic wipes without eating away at the coating if I used one?
  8. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

I use a product called iKlear to clean my phone, tablets, lap tops, heck even my TV screen! This stuff is fantastic and IMO is one of the best I've used.

Comes with a huge micro fiber cloth, a travel micro fiber, 2 bottles of solution ... One for travel and one for home. Also came with some anti bacterial cloths and wipes. But I choose to use the Blue micro fiber ones on pretty much all my electronics and have to say it works fantastic.

Product can be found on either Amazon or they're website.
    MBM7881 likes this.