How To Cleaning the Motorla DROID screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Poloki, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Poloki

Poloki Well-Known Member
    Contributor

Jul 2, 2010
    Male
    Hackettstown, NJ
    I saw on some other threads regarding other phones that most people just use a microfiber cloth to clean their screens.

My wife and I just recently got MotoDroid1 and I use a MF cloth. The other day I saw her pull an alcohol swab (she is diabetic and carries them for her insulin shots) from her purse and wipe the screen. I told her not to do that, but then she asked "Well how do I get rid of the germs?"

Anyone have a suggestion? I am pretty sure that she is set to destroy her screen if she continues this.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    VIP Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    I have used an LCD screen cleaning gel, Vinegar, and plain microfiber cloth to clean my screen. No ill effects thus far....

I use the MF cloth for daily cleaning, the screen gel stuff one ~2 weeks, and have used Vinegar twice.

3. Burns11

Burns11 Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Alcohol shouldn't hurt it, though it might be better to get a leans cleaning kit (for glasses) with a microfiber cloth. The solution in these is mostly alcohol.

My own recipe is almost 50-50 distilled water-alcohol with a drop of baby shampoo for the 6oz bottle I have. That should sate the germaphobe.

My concern for the alcohol swabs is that they are a bit saturated and she might get alcohol seeping to bad places.

4. Cubemonkey

Cubemonkey New Member

Jul 29, 2010
    I rub it on my clothes and call it a day.

5. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Massachusetts
    same.

but when it does get greasy and won't come off I use screen cleaning spray stuff for lcds, touchscreens or just the glasses stuff. But that stuff is basically alcohol too

6. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    VIP Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    The LCD cleaner I have is not alcohol based at all.

Anionic tensid [sic] - See Surfactant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sodium lauryl sulfate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Water, of course, you know.

Those are the three ingredients in my Screen cleaning gel made by Philips - see Philips - Screen cleaning kit Plasma/LCD - SVC2543W/27 - Care and cleaning - Audio/video/gaming accessories - Accessories

And it works like a charm.

7. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    In the forum dog house.
    *sigh*
    -Reported for trying too hard to school everyone.

8. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    In the forum dog house.
    Alcohol won't hurt the screen; it's glass, not plastic. As a germicide, it's probably the most effective thing. But as Burns11 said, it could drip down inside the edge and leave a stain under the glass.

9. cwcheese

cwcheese Well-Known Member

Psychokitty is right, the material is glass and will not be harmed by light solvents. I use an eyeglass cleaning wipe called Flents, get 'em at Costco; after wiping my glasses I quickly wipe the screen on my droid, perfect and no drip to worry about. During the day I continually swipe it across my t-shirt to prevent oil build up; takes 2 seconds.

10. eg146

eg146 Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Arizona
    I have a glass top desk from a VERY high end retailer and when I bought it (all $1600 of it) the stores manager told me to only use alcohol & microfiber cloth to clean the top.

My husband always cringes when he sees me clean w/ alccohol but it's totally safe for the Droid screen as well.

It's the only thing I use on my Droid 2. Alcohol also dries immediately so nothing else on the device gets wet. I put the rubbing alcohol on the cloth first then wipe the screen.
    I also use the same cloth for the phone only and never wash it with laundry soap. I just clean it with plain water. Works perfect every time.

11. DoAndroidDream?

DoAndroidDream? Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I use those Endust LCD and Plasma wipes.