• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Cleaning the Motorla DROID screen

Poloki

Jul 2, 2010
Hackettstown, NJ
I saw on some other threads regarding other phones that most people just use a microfiber cloth to clean their screens.

My wife and I just recently got MotoDroid1 and I use a MF cloth. The other day I saw her pull an alcohol swab (she is diabetic and carries them for her insulin shots) from her purse and wipe the screen. I told her not to do that, but then she asked "Well how do I get rid of the germs?"

Anyone have a suggestion? I am pretty sure that she is set to destroy her screen if she continues this.

Alcohol shouldn't hurt it, though it might be better to get a leans cleaning kit (for glasses) with a microfiber cloth. The solution in these is mostly alcohol.

My own recipe is almost 50-50 distilled water-alcohol with a drop of baby shampoo for the 6oz bottle I have. That should sate the germaphobe.

My concern for the alcohol swabs is that they are a bit saturated and she might get alcohol seeping to bad places.

Upvote 0
same.

but when it does get greasy and won't come off I use screen cleaning spray stuff for lcds, touchscreens or just the glasses stuff. But that stuff is basically alcohol too

The LCD cleaner I have is not alcohol based at all.

Anionic tensid [sic] - See Surfactant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sodium lauryl sulfate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Water, of course, you know.

Those are the three ingredients in my Screen cleaning gel made by Philips - see Philips - Screen cleaning kit Plasma/LCD - SVC2543W/27 - Care and cleaning - Audio/video/gaming accessories - Accessories

And it works like a charm.

Upvote 0
Psychokitty is right, the material is glass and will not be harmed by light solvents. I use an eyeglass cleaning wipe called Flents, get 'em at Costco; after wiping my glasses I quickly wipe the screen on my droid, perfect and no drip to worry about. During the day I continually swipe it across my t-shirt to prevent oil build up; takes 2 seconds.

Upvote 0
I have a glass top desk from a VERY high end retailer and when I bought it (all $1600 of it) the stores manager told me to only use alcohol & microfiber cloth to clean the top.

My husband always cringes when he sees me clean w/ alccohol but it's totally safe for the Droid screen as well.

It's the only thing I use on my Droid 2. Alcohol also dries immediately so nothing else on the device gets wet. I put the rubbing alcohol on the cloth first then wipe the screen.
I also use the same cloth for the phone only and never wash it with laundry soap. I just clean it with plain water. Works perfect every time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones