1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

cleaning UNDER the camera lens coverSupport

1. Zach59CTD

Zach59CTD Member

hey guys, anyone know how to get UNDER the camera lens cover and clean that out. ive had some kind of small string or piece of debris in there thats been seen in every picture i take since about aug 1. ive seen it only once with my naked eye looking into the camera, but i see it in every picture i take. let me see if i can pull up a picture that has it obviously shown and see if you guys know a way i can get under that to clean it.

Here's a picture. You can clearly see the somewhat V shaped pink/purple piece of debris that's been there for far too long.

I added a second photo taken in panoramic view (phone sideways) and you can see this debris again clearly in the water as well as snow in first picture.

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

The camera is supposed to be a sealed unit. On the assumption that you haven't got anything stuck to the lens (you did remove the almost invisible plastic covering that most of us didn't even notice until someone here pointed out it was there didn't you?) I don't think you are going to be able to do anything about this yourself.

Time to take the phone back to whoever you bought if from I suspect.
  3. MYKEL61

MYKEL61 Well-Known Member

I was just going to suggest double checking for the plastic film that covers the lens. I had a hard time seeing it, but once I did and removed it, it had all kinds of dust/lint on it. Its is hard to see. Its a small round plastic film. You may need a needle or something to get it removed.
  4. Zach59CTD

Zach59CTD Member

That's supposed to come off? I've tried removing it before and it felt like hard plastic. As if it's meant to stay on there. I saw it on there since day 1
  5. Zach59CTD

Zach59CTD Member

Ok well I got it off. Same result. Whatever is under the lens cover is still there haha
  6. MYKEL61

Yes, its a hard plastic circle. I too didnt realize it came off.. LOL. It is sticky so dust sticks to it. Solved my issue.
  7. MYKEL61

Sorry to hear that Zach.. It solved the spot issue for me.
  8. Zach59CTD

Zach59CTD Member

Oh well. Maybe I need to stop in Verizon.
  9. Paladin5150

Paladin5150 New Member

Samsung uses a piece of double sided sticky tape with a hole punched in the middle to hold the glass lens cover in place. Unfortunately, sometimes stray a bit of adhesive gets loose if the phone gets hot or moisture and or pocket lint and grit works it's way around the lens edges. Moisture in particular seems to dissolve the adhesive and it will eventually ooze into the aperture opening, or allow dust and debris inside. However it CAN be cleaned if you are careful and have a steady hand. Read the instructions completely, and if you're no COMPLETELY comfortable and sure of your ability, take the phone to your provider instead for repair.

You will need:

A small sewing needle
    A couple of lint free lens wipes or microfiber cloth
    Some camera lens cleaner
    2 Q Tip swabs
    Tweezers
    Clean hands.

Without removing the battery cover, clean around the camera lens with VERY LIGHTLY lens cleaner moistened cloth or wipe to remove all debris and dust from around the lens. Take the small sewing needle and GENTLY insert it at the seam between the glass cover and the silver bezel, and wiggle it. You should be able to see the glass cover move very slightly. If you lift gently, the glass will come away from the bezel, along with the sticky tape and adhesive. It may take a couple of tries. CAREFULLY remove the adhesive square and set it aside with the lens cover, as you will need it to replace the cover.

CAREFULLY wipe any adhesive residue, dust and debris from around the lens bezel, paying particular attention that you don't wipe any into the actual camera lens. When it is thoroughly clean, set the phone aside.

If it isn't already separate, remove the adhesive square from the lens cover and set it aside on the wipe or cloth.. Using the lens cleaner, clean the inside and outside of the lens with the other wipe, or the cloth folded over. Finally lightly moisten one of the Q Tips with the lens cleaner and clean the clear section of the cover (the hole) and dry it with a clean Q Tip.

Take the adhesive square and with your fingers, CAREFULLY remove any loose adhesive bits (it's like semi hardened rubber cement) until it looks even and smooth on both sides. You DON'T want to remove it ALL, just the stray loose bits. Once you have done so, lay the square into the camera bezel on the phone. (use the needle if necessary to get it into position)

Using the TWEEZERS, pick up the glass cover. One side will have some white letters in the corner. THIS SIDE FACES the camera lens. Hold the cover up to a fairly bright light and look through the hole to make sure it's clean and smudge free. Lay the cover into the camera bezel, making sure the adhesive square doesn't slip out of place. Using the lint free cloth, rub around the cover gently but firmly in a circular motion to seat it into the bezel. That's it.

If you destroy or damage the adhesive strip, one CAN be fashioned from a similarly cut piece of double sided tape, but it is slightly thicker than the film Samsung uses.
  10. Paladin5150

Paladin5150 New Member

Samsung uses a piece of double sided sticky tape with a hole punched in the middle to hold the glass lens cover in place. Unfortunately, sometimes stray a bit of adhesive gets loose if the phone gets hot or moisture and or pocket lint and grit works it's way around the lens edges. Moisture in particular seems to dissolve the adhesive and it will eventually ooze into the aperture opening, or allow dust and debris inside. However it CAN be cleaned if you are careful and have a steady hand. Read the instructions completely, and if you're no COMPLETELY comfortable and sure of your ability, take the phone to your provider instead for repair.

You will need:

A small sewing needle
    A couple of lint free lens wipes or microfiber cloth
    Some camera lens cleaner
    2 Q Tip swabs
    Tweezers
    Clean hands.

Without removing the battery cover, clean around the camera lens with VERY LIGHTLY lens cleaner moistened cloth or wipe to remove all debris and dust from around the lens. Take the small sewing needle and GENTLY insert it at the seam between the glass cover and the silver bezel, and wiggle it. You should be able to see the glass cover move very slightly. If you lift gently, the glass will come away from the bezel, along with the sticky tape and adhesive. It may take a couple of tries. CAREFULLY remove the adhesive square and set it aside with the lens cover, as you will need it to replace the cover.

CAREFULLY wipe any adhesive residue, dust and debris from around the lens bezel, paying particular attention that you don't wipe any into the actual camera lens. When it is thoroughly clean, set the phone aside.

If it isn't already separate, remove the adhesive square from the lens cover and set it aside on the wipe or cloth.. Using the lens cleaner, clean the inside and outside of the lens with the other wipe, or the cloth folded over. Finally lightly moisten one of the Q Tips with the lens cleaner and clean the clear section of the cover (the hole) and dry it with a clean Q Tip.

Take the adhesive square and with your fingers, CAREFULLY remove any loose adhesive bits (it's like semi hardened rubber cement) until it looks even and smooth on both sides. You DON'T want to remove it ALL, just the stray loose bits. Once you have done so, lay the square into the camera bezel on the phone. (use the needle if necessary to get it into position)

Using the TWEEZERS, pick up the glass cover. One side will have some white letters in the corner. THIS SIDE FACES the camera lens. Hold the cover up to a fairly bright light and look through the hole to make sure it's clean and smudge free. Lay the cover into the camera bezel, making sure the adhesive square doesn't slip out of place. Using the lint free cloth, rub around the cover gently but firmly in a circular motion to seat it into the bezel. That's it.

If you destroy or damage the adhesive strip, one CAN be fashioned from a similarly cut piece of double sided tape, but it is slightly thicker than the film Samsung uses.