Cleaning up SD card - Leftover folders from uninstalled apps

Last Updated:

1. Droid421

Droid421 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone know if there is an app (or PC program) that will scan the SD card and determine what folders are no longer needed that are left over from uninstalled apps?

I have installed/uninstalled tons of apps and I still see folders on the SD card from apps I know that I no longer have. I have deleted the ones I know are safe to remove but there are some with names that are a little less descriptive of what they were for. I know I could just google each folder name and probably figure each one out individually but I thought there might be an app for it.

Advertisement
  2. Droid_Junky

Droid_Junky Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a way to do what you want.

I can tell you that about two weeks ago I found my SD card almost completely erased. Possibly from Slacker Radio. (they have corrected the issue). The only folders left on my phone were:

.Thumbnails
    100ANDRO
    Camera

Even with just those three folders everything worked. So I found the hard way that the apps will just re-create the folders if they are needed. Of course I had to reload my music and movies.

3. midnightbob

midnightbob New Member

There are some apps that create a file called no media.txt that makes it look like your music, videos and pictures are gone. Using something like Thinkfree Office look for it in the main directory, video, music and picture directories. Delete the file and you just might find that all your info is just hiding.

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Actually, the file is .nomedia (no extension)

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

There's no way an app can do this. Apps don't all use a fixed naming convention for folders that they create on the SD card.