Clear your Cache!Tips

1. Jazziette

Jazziette Well-Known Member

Recreated with the help of my friends here in this thread! Thank you all for your contributions!

Clearing your Cache

Clearing the cache on your Android is a necessary thing to keep it running fast and smoothly. Just as it is with your PC, so it is with your phone.

When your phone gets cluttered with temporary files it will lag and perform poorly. Simply clearing the cache can free up space and eliminate lag.

There are several ways to do this and some depend on if your phone is rooted or not.

Normally, on an unrooted Android, you can go to Applications and sort by size and then clear the cache of all that need clearing, e.g.: Photo Album, browser, the market, etc. It is also helpful to clear your call history now and then - Click phone, menu, call history, menu and delete all.

If you keep your cache clear it will also help to alleviate a lot of the problems you experience that make you think your phone is malfunctioning.

There are some also some very good Cache Cleaners available at The Market.

For rooted users Cache Mate for Root (attribute: KOLIO) has been highly recommended. I can concur with that! It's available free at the Market.

Also, Cache Cleaner NG (attribute: ROB281) has been said to work well in conjunction with Cache Mate. This is also only for rooted phones and is free at the market.

It has also been suggested (attribute: NY11725) that disabling Wallpaper Scrolling can create an increase in home screen speed: go to menu/preferences/appearance settings, disable wallpaper scrolling.

Advertisement
    kboil45532, Scur, Elizclark and 9 others like this.
  2. opsguy

opsguy Active Member

Thanks for passing on that tip Jazziette. Very helpful :)
    Nolasco likes this.
  3. Muilisx

Muilisx Well-Known Member

I read task killing on android operating systems can do more harm than good, something how the phone already cuts processes when it doesn't need them or something.
    KOLIO likes this.
  4. joser116

joser116 Guest

Yes that is true. That's why I dont use any task killers. Since the Android system already manages processes and memory, task killers throw the system off. My mom has a mytouch 3g with Android 1.6 and she never uses task killers and her phone runs smooth as butter, even better than when I used task killers on the Ascend, and she has more apps than I do! Task killers may help instantly, but in the long run, they end up making it worse. Glad you pointed that out.
    KOLIO likes this.
  5. P1zz4guy

P1zz4guy Well-Known Member

Amen on cleaning the cache. My phone builds up about a 15mb cache most days and client it helps soooo much.

Cleaning cache and using a task killer are two different things.
    ota31 and Jazziette like this.
  6. Jazziette

Thanks for clearing up any confusion re: clearing your cache vs task killers, Pizz4!!! :)
  7. joser116

joser116 Guest

But Jazziette ALSO suggested task killers, so I think that is why NY11725 wrote about the bad side of task killers. He was merely responding to what Jazziette said about doing a daily task kill. (P.S. Not taking sides :))
  8. Jazziette

LOL!!!! :) I only suggested a particular task killer when someone asked for a rec. I didn't really suggest that anyone should use them. Did I? :p

(He's busy looking for my post now! hahahaha)
  9. joser116

joser116 Guest

I updated my post.
  10. Jazziette

lol :d
  11. Jazziette

I've never used a task killer. Haven't had any reason to so far. :)
  12. joser116

joser116 Guest

Whos busy?
  13. Jazziette

I updated mine too! :D
  14. Muilisx

Exactly :p
  15. Jazziette

~ Waves White Flag!!! ~

Ya'll are right! LOL

;)
  16. joser116

joser116 Guest

See what NY1234( whatever) meant?
  17. Muilisx

11725 :p
  18. aviedw

aviedw New Member

Just to double back. Using task killer is counter-productive, Why? From what i have researched there seems to be large amounts of support for both sides. I interested in knowing how the task killer makes things worse? Sorry if im going off the thread topic.
  19. ROB281

ROB281 Well-Known Member

download cache cleaner ng from the market, then you can set the program to automatically do this for you
  20. Muilisx

I can't find where to clear my browser cache
  21. ROB281

ROB281 Well-Known Member

are you using the stock browser? if so ditch it for dolphin browser, it will clear the cache everytime you exit out.
  22. Muilisx

I've actually tried Dolphin, but I like the performance of the stock browser better honestly :)
    ota31 likes this.
  23. KOLIO

KOLIO NOTEoriously XPOSED Guide

Go to systems,applications,then menu,and it should be there.I installed CACHE CLEANER FOR ROOT from the market before I had my problems,it seems to work very well.Just read all the instructions before you get started(like I'm one to talk),it's highly customizeable,easy to use,and best of all,there is a free version.
  24. Jazziette

I have amended the original post, taking out part of Quazar's quote that recommended using a task killer daily.

I have not personally had to use a task killer on my phone. For those of you who do use one and like it I'm happy to hear you haven't experienced problems. They make them for a reason. Hopefully I won't have to find out why! :p

Basically the intention of this thread was to recommend clearing your cache.

I am interested in knowing which cache cleaner you all recommend.
    KOLIO likes this.
  25. KOLIO

KOLIO NOTEoriously XPOSED Guide

Try CACHE CLEANER FOR ROOT,(free version)seems to work well.
    Lennatron and Jazziette like this.