Clearing Cache through Rom Manager vs. Recovery

Last Updated:

1. BenDroid

BenDroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, here is what I am running into. I have just recently rooted my wife's phone because she saw a couple of themes she wanted and I informed her the only way to get themes like what she was looking at (J-Rummy's Pink Life) was to root and rom the device and then theme it. So what I did was just root the phone using RSD Lite by installing SPRecovery on her phone and then applying the root update.zip file to the device. No problems from that point on. I did that a few days ago. I just went ahead and purchased Rom Manager for easier application of Roms/Themes. I downloaded Lithium Mod/Pink-Life Rom and then selected clear data and cache and install.

I have run into nothing but problems. I am getting constant force closes, system freezes, reboots, etc. So, first thing I think of is ... different kernel. Same thing. I try three different kernels and get the same problems. I then decide to just revert back to her previous setup (clean 2.1 with Root access). Everything is back to normal with no issues at all except for the fact the wife wants a Pink Rom.

I then decide to try BB 0.4, thinking maybe it had something to do with the ROM. I installed it the same way as I did the last one. I did everything through ROM Manager. Got the same results.

So....all that leads to my question. Sorry it took so much to get to this point. I just wanted to make sure I listed everything I did so maybe there could be some different insight on what is going wrong, but my question is...is it better to reboot into recovery and wipe data/cache and then install from recovery or just install through Rom Manager? I know that sounds dumb because Rom Manger boots into recovery anyway and does exactly what you would have done, but does it truly do it the same is my question?

If the answer is yes, Rom Manager takes care of all that for you, then does anyone know of anything else I could try to maybe get a ROM running on this device without all of these problems?

I am running out of ideas. I have even tried installing it through SPRecovery (changing the name to update.zip of course).

Maybe there are just some phones that just can't be Rom'd.

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks for any help and sorry for the long post.

Advertisement
  2. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

Both methods will wipe the data/cache, selecting those options through ROM Manager just makes the process automated when it reboots to recovery. Have you tried running "Fix Permissions" from ROM Manager? That will usually fix many of the Force Close issues.

BenDroid likes this.
  3. BenDroid

BenDroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You know... I have actually never "fixed permissions” on her phone. I guess when I get chance I will try running on rom on it and then try that to see if that makes a difference. I was pretty sure that rom manager automated everything, as you said, but when you run into as many problems as I have you start wondering. Thanks for the reply.