Clever Me Managed to Brick my Phone...

Last Updated:

1. Bobinator2000

Bobinator2000 Member This Topic's Starter

So I rooted my Milestone using this guide: beefsack.com - Blog - How To Root Motorola Milestone

Worked fine. Installed Android root helper (or something like that, can't get the name cus Google comes up with nothing and of course phone won't work). Installed the tools thing it tells you to. Followed the instructions in it perfectly. I pressed the bottom button (can't remember what it said) and then clicked the button to install the skull theme. It re-booted the phone and wouldn't start. It just loops the "android" shimmer.

I go into the bootloader screen (camera button and power button) and it comes up with:

Bootloader
    Err:A5,69,35,00,2F

Battery OK
    OK to Program
    Transfer Mode:
    USB

(I have it plugged in because it gave a different message before complaining about no USB)

Is there any way at all I can reset/recover the phone?

Oh also I have tried booting up without sd card in. No avail.

Advertisement
  2. epuiatti

epuiatti Well-Known Member

You must be really worried right about now.... Ive been in similar situations with my G1, but its actually quite hard to do and you probably havent done any permanent damage. This is exactly why im not rooting my milestone as much as i want to, its not worth it this early in the game. Did you take a nandroid backup? Some of the guys over at XDA forums might be able to help you out if you ask nicely.

3. Bobinator2000

I have no back up. The only thing I did (backup wise) was before I rooted copy everything on the memory stick (which will probably not help at all) and once rooted I attempted to make a root backup with some program I can't even remember, and it seemed to fail. But I do remember it was an old version and there was a new paid for version.

And you are correct. I am currently crapping myself. hehe...

A little more information just randomly. I bought it from expansys. So it is unlocked and has sod all support from carriers.

I have contacted them because it seems most likely I am going to need a replacement or something.

4. adam_flash

adam_flash Member

5. Bobinator2000

The skull theme was found in this app (nothing to do with the bootloader screen): http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-crotalusfreak-droidroot-ptwp.aspx

And sorry for being such a pain, but could you tell me or link to a guide that will tell me how to do the fastboot flash recovery etc.?

6. adam_flash

adam_flash Member

Oh, I see.

Apps on the app store that are for 'rooted' devices really scare me, and I think they should be treated with much caution. I am much more comfortable installing applications (specifically talking about ones that require root permissions) that I have good feedback on, and that are built specifically for the model of phone I am using -- also, having available source is a big plus.

Fastboot / flash_image instructions are here:
    RE-recovery-img - CyanogenMod Wiki

It looks like that might not work for you, without already having a custom recovery image installed (or a working rooted system).

What error message did you get when the phone was not plugged in, and you tried to enter the recovery screen?

7. Bobinator2000

I can't get into the recovery screen. As soon as I put the battery in it boots up and continues the looping of the android shimmer. If I hold down the camera and power button (X and power doesn't do anything) before I put the battery in, it only gets to that screen, and from there no matter what button I press, sod all happens.

That bootloader screen message, without the USB in, is the same but it says please connect USB data cable.

And it looks like that option won't help at all as I can't get into any menus at all.

8. adam_flash

adam_flash Member

dunno if you've read this:

Need help from Bootloader Err - Moto Modding.us

eerie...

Anyway, you can get fastboot from the nexus one root download -- i doubt it will work, but its worth a try, from the screen you get to from camera+power.

9. adam_flash

adam_flash Member

dunno if you've read this:

Need help from Bootloader Err - Moto Modding.us

eerie...

Anyway, you can get fastboot from the nexus one root download -- i doubt it will work, but its worth a try, from the screen you get to from camera+power.

10. Bobinator2000

I don't see how I could get the fastboot form the Nexus One download as I have absolutely no way of installing anything, unless I am missing something here (considering this is my first venture into the rooting world that wouldn't be surprising).

11. adam_flash

adam_flash Member

fastboot doesn't run on the phone.

12. Bobinator2000

Well there you go then. I did miss something.

It is too late at night now for me to do anything of great brain power right now (that and I need to get up for work without being dead on arrival). I will look into it tomorrow at work at some point.

Probably me being a bit pushy now, but it would be fantastic if you could give me some links for tomorrow so it will be a little easier (downloads guides or something).

13. adam_flash

adam_flash Member

i've attached fastboot for you.

it doesn't work for me on my milestone, but I haven't tried to flash boot or recovery.

the command is

'fastboot flash <partition> <image file>"

I suspect you only need to be flashing recovery and system. I do think its odd that the roothelper application messed with recovery, by the way.

let us know.

14. adam_flash

adam_flash Member

15. Bobinator2000

I keep getting re-directed from that site to modaco.com...

Also what exactly would be the command?

Is the partition the drive letter my phone would come under? And what's the image file?

Also, my phone doesn't seem to want to actually go into USB mode. Win 7 attempts to install "s flash omap3430 driver" and fails.

16. Bobinator2000

And now I am actually off to bed. Hehe

17. spottyelephant

spottyelephant Well-Known Member

Just to relax you a bit i'd like to re-iterate that your phone isn't bricked.
    That happened to my galaxy and it was because an update file was missing.

I haven't got my milestone yet so Im afraid i can't really help you just yet, but i would recommend flashing the original stock firmware. That will include a new boot loader and as well as the necessary operational files.

What's most likely to have happened is that when you were doing an update, you either put the necessary files in the wrong location on the phone (so now the android boot screen your seeing can't find what to boot), or a file got corrupted.

It's actually surprisingly difficult to brick phones these days.

18. Bobinator2000

Thanks for the reassurance.

I have been reading up on flash recovery from this page (the one adam recommended): RE-recovery-img - CyanogenMod Wiki

and it seems in order to do it I would need to install an SDK and tick a certain setting box. Also need access to the microSD (not too difficult, just need to buy a card reader).

Please correct me if I am wrong, which is likely.

19. spottyelephant

Honestly, im afraid i cant help you as i dont have my milestone, and as such dont know the flashing process at all.

I would however ask this guy how he managed to do a wipe of the phone, and how to flash original firmware. Also note that the milestone and droid will have the same process, but you will need to get milestone firmware, you can't use droid firmware.

20. Bobinator2000

Thanks, I have asked him how he did it and hopefully will have a functioning phone again soon...

21. spottyelephant

Ok, 2 things to try.

First, I found this. His phone was on a recurring loop the moment he put his battery in too:

"Once you get into recovery mode by powering up while holding the X key you can bring up the menu by pressing and holding volume up and then pressing camera. You can use the navigation keys to scroll down to "wipe data/factory reset" and center select to select it. Then you will have to confirm the wipe."

So try that first.

The other option will require an sd card reader..

22. Bobinator2000

I can't get to the recovery screen. I have tried that before.

The only screen I can get to is that bootloader screen with the error message I have in my original post. I can get to no where from then and that is the only screen I can get into.

23. spottyelephant

Nothing happens when you hold "x" and replace the battery no? The sd card method requires that screen too in order to apply a new firmware or update.zip

edit - make sure you are holding the power button aswell, think it's meant to be aswell as x.

Everyone else who have been stuck in a boot loop (even the ones who's loops start as soon as the battery is replaced) seem to be able to get to that screen:confused:

The only other thing i can think of is this.
    Havent read it fully but seem like the fixed a fully bricked phone.

24. Bobinator2000

I don't think my boot loop is the same as everyone else's.
    I don't know where everyone else's loop... loops. But mine is the silver android logo that shimmers. It goes black after doing that for a few seconds, then plays the same animation again and again and again until I take the battery out (no other option).

I just put the battery in and it doesn't seem to start up by just putting it in any more. I have to actually press the power button :O

But still does nothing when I press x and power button or just x after I turned it on. The only screen I seem to be able to get to is that bootloader screen and there I can't seem to do anything of use either.

25. spottyelephant

Hmm. It's very hard for me to troubleshoot not having a milestone myself!

When my galaxy was looping that shimmering android, I had to boot into recovery.

If you are un able to do that, it sounds like your recovery image could be missing, in which case it'll need to be replaced. I think the recovery image (if you can find one, or ask someone here to rip it off theirs) could be manually put on the sd card, or you might be able to boot it direct by using adb (which requires installing all the adb drivers etc on your computer).

Im afraid thats as far as i can take you, not having a phone myself, you might be better looking for help in the droid forum which is more active than here..sorry!

If i find anything ill post back here.