Client/server application

1. stefanidou6282

stefanidou6282 New Member

Hi everyone,

I would try to create a client/server android application for ordering system and i need some help.

The application wont be for online orders but only for internal use.
    For example the waiters will take the orders and send it probably to a server..

How the application will connect to the server?
    I have to create one application for the client and a separate for the server?

Advertisement
  2. jmyking

jmyking New Member

So this is an app for a restaurant? Waiter takes order then sends it to the kitchen? I waited tables for years and thought that was a good idea. I have done a client/server android app before. Can you provide more details on what you want? Please include an example of a more detailed workflow?
  3. sohguanh

sohguanh Well-Known Member

Application on server require development and maintenance cost. For small restaurant players, a stand-alone app will suffice and still get the things done. So it all depend on the scale of the restaurant and as it goes, you want more flexibility and features you pay more.
  4. dlhavema

dlhavema Well-Known Member

I built one of these on with palm pilots for a senior project in college quite a few years ago.

You need one program running on a server/desktop/large tablet, possibly with a database to handle the menu/inventory/items and then the tablets/phones/etc connect through WIFI to download the days menu/items and to send order notifications back and forth. The app is not terribly difficult to build, getting the right connections with the store managers/owners/execs is the real difficult part. A friend of mine basically told me that this is idea is really selling a "business model" more than just an application. This idea though was what got me into mobile programming back in the day.