1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

clipboard

1. boatman72

boatman72 Active Member

when you copy some text from a web page and it gives you 3 options as to what you want to do with it, where does it go if you select copy as it says that it saves it to clipboard but there is no clipboard.
    does anyone know where it gets put?

Advertisement
    :
    shane17 likes this.
  2. anandroiduser

anandroiduser Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where it gets put "exactly" however I assume you just care about pasting that copied clipboard text somewhere?

If so, then you just need to hold down your finger (for 2 secs or so) into the necessary input box, and when the Edit text dialogue options pop up, click "Paste".

Another interesting question on the back of this however, is why HTC or Google haven't included a "Search Google for <selected text>" option, as is done in Google Chrome and Firefox. This would be really useful.
    ShaeDreams likes this.
  3. boatman72

boatman72 Active Member

Yes but where does the phone put it as there is no clipboard on the phone?
  4. c_man

c_man Well-Known Member

+1
    It must go somewhere, I'd be interested in knowing this too...
  5. Bootsock

Bootsock Well-Known Member

Are you guys for real? It's just stored in a buffer. Just because there's no clip board viewer application, it doesn't mean its all witchcraft and wizardry...

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk
  6. boatman72

boatman72 Active Member

so how do you view the text that you have saved then?
  7. Bootsock

Bootsock Well-Known Member

Paste it into something...

If it really matters to you, download something like clipnote lite.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk
  8. anandroiduser

I am soooooooooooooooo in agreement. Lol.
  9. boatman72

boatman72 Active Member

guys, put your handbags down, it was only a question.
  10. htclint

htclint Member

OK well instead of starting a new thread i'll ask here...

how on earth do you clear the clip board? would be nice to have that available somehow... had it on blackberry.

copy an oh lets say PASSWORD then paste it, how on earth do you clear the cache or clipboard? and hopefully not everything else on the phone.

thanks, clint
  11. anandroiduser

Haha. Now seeing this. :D

No clue how to clear the clipboard.. but as I think it's not that straight forward to access all the stuff on it.. Can't you just copy a blank string, thereby replacing clipboard contents with 'nothing'?
  12. htclint

htclint Member

Well not sure but from the apps I've looked @ seems the clipboard has a pretty good "memory". Will be using it a lot for pretty secure passwords and wanna make sure its clean is all. Used to use the copy nothing on pc's not sure it would clear all here.

-clint
  13. anandroiduser

Looks like a pretty standard clipboard to me - ClipboardManager | Android Developers .. with setText overwriting whatever text is currently there.. What examples of "good memory" have you seen in apps? And, I also guess you've tried searching for an app to clear clipboard?
  14. htclint

htclint Member

hmmm going back looking for the "memory" mentioned in the apps it seems the apps say they can provide the "memory". none seem to directly mention clearing the clip board though.

i'm just a tinfoilfat card carrying member and like security is all. would love to find something that cleared the clipboard auto when phone locked that would be best or a widget/short cut to do it @ least.

-htc
  15. htclint

htclint Member

16. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

i just copy something else tbh, that clears it.
    htclint likes this.
  17. htclint

htclint Member

ah cool thanks, clears things (mainly clipboard) hehe up for me.

-htc
  18. kevinkar

kevinkar Member

I've found that I need to simply get to an available text entry box, hold my finger down in the area until the option to "Paste from clipboard" appears which brings up the current list of items stored in the clipboard (note that, for me on my Droid X, the list has a lot more stored than simply ONE item to be overwritten so the suggestion to "just copy something else to replace it" will not work for me).

At that point, I press the Menu button and that brings up the single option to "Clear the clipboard" which I select and everything is deleted.

The clipboard information MUST be stored in a text file somewhere. This is indeed a security issue and there must be a more secure way of dealing with this situation especially if the clipboard information is stored in clear text.

Only way to do this is to paste the password where it needs to go and to immediately go through the motion to paste again but instead select the option to clear the clipboard.

If you use KeePass, it will clear the copied user name and password after a set time (I set mine to 1 minute which is enough time to copy/paste the pertinent information.)

I hope some of this helps,

Kevin
  19. htclint

htclint Member

have found a easier method... purchased tasker on market what a dream it is, made a widget to clear clipboard. wish i found the app along time ago would saved me buying countless others. it is awesome.

thanks though-htclint
  20. blackrose

blackrose New Member

in my samsung galaxy s2, there is simple option where if i tap on the cursor in text field it gives me option of clipboard and i can view whole keyboard and can also delete it...

thank you guys
    kalloorkar likes this.
  21. prasad06k

prasad06k New Member

Not sure if this thread is closed. I am just adding my comments if anyone is still facing clipboard issue.

When clipboad is visible and you are ready to insert the copied data. Just press and hold clipboad data for some time this pops up a window to manage and there by we can delete.
    Ninjarette, ss_bhullar and Pebbles PR like this.
  22. kalloorkar

kalloorkar New Member

thaks a lot....it worked for me. there was lots of data stored on my clipboard and i really wanted to remove it.
  23. judy78700

judy78700 New Member

I finally found the clipboard on the Samsung Galaxy 2...open an email and click reply or forward. Tap and hold in the compose area. A list will appear and tap on 'select all'. The clipboard will come up and you can just tap that. Note that if there is nothing on the clipboard, it will not appear. Good luck.
  24. ComputerGranny

ComputerGranny Well-Known Member

This worked for me. Thanks!
  25. Ninjarette

Ninjarette New Member

Thank you SO much! I've searched high and low, trying to figure out how to clear the clipboard. I joined Android Forums primarily to thank you for this post.

:)