Cliq owner, Nexus One questions.

Last Updated:

1. Coltknows

Coltknows Active Member This Topic's Starter

I bought the Cliq for its price and because I had a faulty sidekick. Waiting 2 months for a droid was too much. Well, now that I know this won't get flash 10.1, I'd prefer a better phone. I tried to get the droid on amazon, but due to my hospital bills, I can't get the discount. So, its either the droid @ verizon, or the N1. Greater internal storage capacity or physical keyboard? Pros and cons, anyone?

Advertisement
  2. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

I used to think I couldn't cope without a physical keyboard, but having since discovered Swype, I now view physical keyboards as an extra bulk I would rather not have. But your mileage may vary.

If the hardware keyboard isn't a big thing for you, though, go for the N1. No contest.

Coltknows likes this.
  3. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

I have 6 friends with the Droid. 2 use the keyboard. The other 4 have never touched it. And fwiw if you're not scared of root... I've got flash 10.1 now ;)

4. Coltknows

On a small screen like the cliq, the virtual keyboard is error prone, but I played with droid's vk, and had no trouble. So yeah, a can live without a physical keyboard. As for rooting, T-Mobile keeps encouraging me to root. I just haven't had the chance, yet. No pc, atm. Did you flash the desire rom onto your N1? Where do I find the roms for flash 10.1? How do I install it after I root?

5. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

I threw the desire rom on yesterday again. I've gone back and forth from it several times now. You only needthe pc to unlock. The rest can be done from your browser. Visit xda for root info.

Coltknows likes this.
  6. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

They encourage you to root? o_O

But that aside, yep, my N1 is running a Desire ROM. You can find a list of active ROMs here. The most prominent ones are Modaco, Enomther, and Cyanogen. If you're interested in Desire, I recommend the Modaco version (as opposed to Kingklick's or the Remix one): with alpha11, it's the most complete and polished of the lot. About the only thing you'll lose going from a stock ROM to Desire is... uh... nothing really. Sense framework offers a lot more options (even apart from the UI itself) and a much better set of apps (music, browser, calendar).

Coltknows likes this.
  7. Coltknows

Ok, so I'll save up $600, then wait until after both the 2.1 upgrades and the arrival of flash 10.1 on Droid and N1. After each of those have come to pass, there might even be something better (Motorola Shadow/Nexus Two, perhaps). My only concern about the N1 is the supposedly inaccurate multitouch. Have any of you come across this issue? How bad is it?

8. semianonymous

semianonymous Active Member

Its there if you look for it. I've never had a problem, but when I did some tests, it is there. You can see it lock up a little on maps if you move your hands right, but I've only had that inverted touch thing happen in the test app, no others.

Coltknows likes this.
  9. Coltknows

Cool, thanks! Sounds like I can live with that for few years.

10. Fiezta

Fiezta Well-Known Member

Does n1 now have flash? Is this an update that will register automatically from n1 or do u have to root ur phone to get it? Please enlighten me.
    Thanks

11. Fiezta

Fiezta Well-Known Member

would be so kind to write step by step for a rookie on how to root?
    Thanks

12. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

See the rooting section of the N1 forum (just above the questions & answers section that you are using at the moment!), there is a full guide and links to other sites to help you root.

13. Fiezta

Fiezta Well-Known Member

thx