Clock on lock

Last Updated:

1. Mr Lahey

Mr Lahey Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have had the Desire now for about 6 months and love it. The one thing though that i have never quite got used to is the blank screen when you lock it.

I have to manually click on desktop clock at night and during the day it involves a having to press the power button to see the time.
    I appreciate this is nothing major, but is there any way i can have the clock on the screen whilst locked without having to manually activate desktop clock?
    I dont want to root the phone so am looking for some software or way of doing it, still running 2.1 on Orange.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. glenmcfar

glenmcfar Guest

Try WidgetLocker Lockscreen from the Android Market. Its great!

3. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

Don't think that provides what he wants though?

4. RetroDude

RetroDude Well-Known Member

Batterys isnt fantastic at the best of times... And you want to have it on all the time?

Do any phones do this? My old w810i i had to press volume key to see the time, similar to pressing power button here

5. Mr Lahey

Thanks for the replies.

The last phone I had was N96 and i cant hremember a phone that didn't have the time showing upon lock.
    I cant honestly see how it can use so much battery?

I am a bit surprised tbh it isnt part of the settings?

6. capese21

capese21 Member

Leaving the screen on all the time will flatten the battery which is why it is not possible. One quick press of the power button brings up the "lock" screen which shows the time on my Desire.

7. Mr Lahey

Ok, when im out in the car i have the phone on charge and when im in bed it is on charge. Is there a way that when plugged in and locked the clock shows?

8. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

There is an option in settings to keep the screen on while charging:
    Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > Stay awake

Alternatively there are a number of night clock and nightstand apps on the market which may meet your needs.

9. glenmcfar

glenmcfar Guest

No you're right, sorry.

10. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

You need to think harder...I can't think of a single touchscreen phone that leaves the screen on to display the time.
    Where have you been hiding, in a cave?
    The screen is one of the highest drain components in a smartphone, if not the highest. Leaving the screen on all the time will kill the battery in a few hours.
    As another suggested, there is a setting to leave the screen on while charging, but I don't recommend that as it will wear the screen MUCH faster if it's on 100% for a total of 8-10 hours a day. Just get used to the fact that touchscreens are large and eat a lot of battery, and tap the power button when you want to see the time.

Or buy a watch.
    :D

11. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I know of apps which leave the screen on but I am not going to mention them because OLED screens are prone to screen burn so this move would be completely irresponsible

PS I love watches ;)

12. jimeller

jimeller Well-Known Member

There are various app in the market that leave a clock on the screen for night purposes. If you search for night clock in the market/app brain.

Hope this helps.