clock too bright in the media dock?

Last Updated:

1. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

it was for me...just found "night clock"....looks great. can't wait to try it out tonight.

Advertisement
  2. DR0ID

DR0ID Well-Known Member

3. Mainiac

Mainiac Member

If it would turn off the 4 buttons on the bottom/right when it runs that clock would be great!

4. CatsTide

yeah i noticed that last night. outside the dock they turn off but in the dock the 4 buttons stay lit

5. netwerker

netwerker Member

Same problem here, still too bright even in dim mode. Please keep this thread updated if you find a way to dim it further or install a 3rd party clock for multimedia mode.

6. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

Subscribed. I can't believe they wouldn't include some sort of brightness adjustment for it.

7. argylecyclist

argylecyclist Member

Agreed. The phone is hell-a bright in the dock. I'm putting up with it for now, but would also like a way to dim it further than the current options allow.

8. Mixmaster300

Mixmaster300 Active Member

Looking forward to using a docking station, when I can get one! The store I bought my Droid from does not have any in stock and has a waiting list of Droid owners who want one.

9. Bonehead

Bonehead Member

Exactly, looks like they are not in stock anywhere that I've looked.

10. netwerker

netwerker Member

Ok, so here's my <hopefully> temporary workaround. If you lock the phone while mounted in the dock, the screen (and soft buttons) will go completely dark. The alarm will still go off and turn the screen back on so you can hit snooze or dismiss. So the downside is that I can just look at the phone to see what time it is, this defeats the main reason I got the dock in the first place. On the flip side it's not illuminating the whole room.

11. mswhite60

mswhite60 Well-Known Member

I'd like to fashion my own dock for the bedside (outta wood). This way maybe the soft keys could be hidden enough to not light up the room. I could provide enough room for the cord to connect underneath, and give it some heft so that buttons could be pushed without sliding the phone around. I have not played with the standard dock, but I assume it gives the phone some stability so that you can push a button.

What we need to figure out is what the magnet position needs to be to force dock mode. The alternative is to use the DockRunner app, which works just fine.

-Matt

12. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member

Yeah, its dang bright!! Does using the power-control widget to reduce the brightness first, keep the less bright setting when in the dock??

I'll try that tonight....

13. netwerker

netwerker Member

I have not found this to be the case. For me, it's the screen that's too bright, not the keys. Yeah the keys look brighter when looking directly at them. Try this; look away from the phone at a wall that's being lit up while covering up just the soft keys with your finger (or any solid object). The wall is still lit up just as much as before, at least it is for me.

14. bruceo

bruceo Well-Known Member

another great feature with ******** execution on this phone... If you press dim on the clock it just makes the numbers harder to read but the screen doesnt actually get any dimmer.

15. russv61

russv61 New Member

I've played around with a small weak disk magnet.
    Just above center in portrait mode works great.
    The polarity facing the phone chooses car or dock mode.

16. Droid_Junky

Droid_Junky Well-Known Member

russv61 - Download Dockrunner. No need for magnets if you don't have or want the dock. Until the dock comes with built in speakers I'm going to wait.

17. chris.h

chris.h Well-Known Member

For me when in portrait, car mode is just below dock mode. Both dead center.

18. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member

Confirmed, use the Power Control widget to dim the screen, then put on multi-media doc, and it remains dimmer.

19. karimarie

karimarie Well-Known Member

I use the DockRunner app, and I rigged up my own ghetto dock for it. Here are some lousy pics (taken with a Chocolate 3):

[​IMG]

I cut a notch in the cardboard base supporting the phone from the left side to where the micro USB jack is. This way, I plug my phone in and slide it into the holder.

[​IMG]

I rigged this up for my new phone for three reasons. (1) The Verizon store was all out of the docks for the phone, (2) I'm too cheap to pay $30 for the dock anyway when you can easily simulate its docking functions with a DockRunner, (3) I wanted something that would hang off the side of my nightstand (which is taller than my bed) instead of sitting on top of it and taking up more room.

So it looks pretty bad, but I don't really care--it works, and it was free! :) Basically, the backing is duct-tape wrapped (for reinforcement) cardboard, secured to the nightstand with those easy-remove velcro picture hanging tabs. The plastic over the front is actually clear vinyl from one of those bags that sheets and blankets come in when you buy them.

20. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member

My problem with the dock is not the brightness, but the fact that in night mode, the clock numbers are too similar in color to the background, so they blend in rather than stand out.

21. CatsTide

got a link? power control widget doesn't get any results in the market.

22. bruceo

bruceo Well-Known Member

its included stock. just pull up the widget menu and its there. backlight is the icon on the far right of the bar.

23. CatsTide

ahh thanks

24. Don S

Don S Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. I love the dock but there is definitely not enough contrast between the the digits and the background in the dim setting.

25. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Same here. Hopefully this can be addressed in an update or app by a developer.

-L