Clock/weather widget - Loss of Animation

Last Updated:

1. LarryAhmeen

LarryAhmeen Member This Topic's Starter

Hello again!

Forgive my many small posts but I only got my Hero 2 days ago and I'm trying to get everything just right.

My latest issue is that the Clock/weather widget has stopped animating. It used to be that the numbers in the time would "fall" down, like a pages of a book turning. Now it doesn't do that anymore.

I have "Animation" ticked in "Sound & Display" settings and I'm running Spare Parts with all the animation settings I could find ticked.

I know it's an aesthetic issue rather than one of function, but everyone I meet is asking "why did you trade in your iPhone" - so I need to be as impressive as I can! (Oh dear...)

Advertisement
  2. prepbgg

prepbgg Well-Known Member

Have you upgraded the ROM? It seems that the flipping clock feature was removed to help reduce the "lag" that people had been experiencing.

3. LarryAhmeen

Yes,

That's exactly what I've done...

What a shame, the new ROM is really fast, I don't have lag problems at all now... I think they could have probably kept that feature in and it would have been Ok.

I wonder if there is a way of taking the widget from the old one and putting it in.

Thanks for clearing that up for me though, at least I know now.

4. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

A fair few wanted to get rid of the flicker in that clock and now that its gone they want it back again.:)

5. LarryAhmeen

Haha,

My feeling is... just because YOUR HTC Hero was too slow to run the widget why should I be punished for it? :) In all seriousness though, what do you think the chances are of keeping the latest ROM but somehow taking the widget from the old one, just to see if we can keep the fancy animation?

It's that sort of thing that keeps the aesthetics better than the iPhone.

I really want it back...

6. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

It won't be that simple, unfortunately. I've just tried replacing HtcClockWidget.* from a pre-2.73.xxx.x ROM and my handset boot-looped. :rolleyes:

7. LarryAhmeen

A galent effort!

A shame it didn't happen, it would have been great had it been that simple. I though that might have worked though...

Perhaps computer programming is harder than I thought.

I really appreciate the effort though Slug!

8. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

Don't HTC store the widgets as APK files in the firmware.. Surely it is doable..

9. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Oh yes, it's perfectly do-able..... mount /system as R/W, rm the HtcClockWidget.* files, push the old version across, reboot.... but the handset wouldn't complete the restart. :(

10. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

11. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

Bummer. I miss the clock animation.

12. mardenator

mardenator Member

thats because those settings are for the default android stuff.. if your hero has Sense, then those settings dont cover the widgets.. you need to open the weather app and look at the settings there.. but, as mentioned, they did change the ROM because of lag issues like that..