Clock & Weather WidgetSupport

Last Updated:

1. snuggles

snuggles Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Why is my location correct when I have WiFi on but not correct when I have just the mobile network on??? Also I can't add my city to the widget either. It displays my current location as Washington and I live near Chicago. PLEASE HELP!!!! :confused:

Advertisement
  2. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

No one's city is in there. Seems like they have only 15 cities to pick from. Turn on GPS if you want better accuracy.

3. sunthas

sunthas Well-Known Member

So far its worked fine for me in Boise and Las Vegas... the only two places I've taken the phone. It also pops up suburbs of Boise when I drive near them. So it seems pretty accurate to me. I leave GPS off most all of the time and wireless too unless I'm at home.

4. aw1974

aw1974 Well-Known Member

I'm in suburban Detroit and when I drive through different suburbs, they ALL come up. Even after refreshing, the current city doesn't come up???

5. snuggles

I wish I could leave the GPS on but my battery will be gone in two seconds. Another question I have is when I go to settings, "update automatically" box is always unchecked. Am I missing a button needed to save the check mark in the 'update automatically" box?
    Is it HTC or Verizon why I cant add my city manually? I have The Weather Channel app installed and there is never a problem finding my location.

6. sunthas

Update Automatically is checked for me.
    Update Frequency set to every 1 hour

no need for GPS for this app.

/edit:

Under the main phone programs... Settings > Location

3 options...

Use Wireless Networks (I have checked)
    Location Setting (911 Only is what I have)
    Use GPS satellites (not checked)

Perhaps if you don't have the first option checked you can't check it in clock/weather app?

7. snuggles

8. sunthas

Remove the widget and add it again. should ask you for a location?

9. mhtrang

mhtrang Well-Known Member

I couldn't get it to update either. I took a road trip from California to Las Vegas, and the whole time, the weather showed up as Mountain View, CA. I had the data on and GPS for parts of the trip just to check it out, but no such luck. I removed and added the widget again, any tips?

10. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

That's not how GPS works on the phone. Leave it on. When an app wants to use it, it will and then use more battery. If there are no apps using it, you don't lose battery.

The weather app lets you check for updates at most once an hour. So every hour it will use GPS for however long it was coded to (hopefully 30 seconds or so) and then shut it off. If you leave it off and then turn it on manually for things it will take a couple of minutes to get a position lock. If you leave it on, it will only take a few seconds.

11. snuggles

Hi Guys, no luck with the GPS on. A strange thing happened, the widget still says current location Washington at 10:15PM...yes 10:15PM and there is a picture of the sun?????????????? The only way it works is if I have my WiFi on at home then I get my correct location. Do you think they will address this issue with the next software update? Let me say coming from the BB Strom 1 & 2 and many others this phone ROCKS!!!!!!!! My hobby is weather and my only complaint with the Inc is this weather widget.

12. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

Im having the same problem, when i click update automatically, go back home, then go check the settings, its unchecked again.

13. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

So you guys have tried the old battery pull, remove the widget and add it back and still no go?

You could always get Beautiful Widgets from the market or reset factory data.

14. mhtrang

Still a no go for me. I deleted the "current location" option and found out that there was no way to add that back in. I deleted the widget in hopes that it would show back up, and it did, but it would still not show me the weather of whatever city I was in. It always shows up as Mountain View. Anyone else able to get their weather fixed?

15. snuggles

Still no fix :(

16. Rosso

Rosso Member

I'm glad that it is not just me that is having this problem. It was working fine when I first got the phone but now there is no auto updating. I do at least have my location in there. Very frustrating

17. SDotNY

SDotNY Well-Known Member

Try "Fancy Widget" in the market.. It's free and looks just like the sense one but actually works! Had it for maybe 2 weeks now (using with launcher pro so works in landscape mode as well) and had 1 force close with it. Updated and no problems at all.. Hope it helped some of you guys.

18. brianem

brianem Well-Known Member

Theres a power bar widget with a recycle / refresh symbol on the right. What it does is tun on and off the auto update features for stuff like gmail and weather. Anyways, it doesn't play nice with phone settings (at least on mine) and will undo changes in settings if you make them while its off, like gps. What I had to do was turn it on, then make all the setting changes to auto update. After I saved stuff, now I can use the power bar widget to global toggle everything, for example I dont get gmail notifications after I go to bed with it off, as it now doesnt check.

Edit: widget was on far left home-screen by default for me.

Edit2: the refresh (not sure of actual name) toggle is 2nd from right, next to brightness.

19. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

The city on my weather widget keeps changing, even when I'm not moving.

When it changes, does it reload the forecast or does it wait for the scheduled time? I could see it being a battery drain if it keeps reloading as the city changes.

I guess when I go on wifi, it changes and maybe I'm hitting 2 different cell towers too.

20. Rosso

Rosso Member

Ok, I have solved my problem.

Settings > Account & Sync > make sure you've got Auto-Sync checked

As for the weather following you, that may be in the settings part of the weather app

21. mhtrang

Yeah, I checked that stuff and still it didn't work. Any clues on how to get the "my location" back as an option? In the meantime, I have switched up my widget to just a normal clock and then adding a weather widget for my home city.

22. ms.chevystang

ms.chevystang Active Member

I am having trouble also with the weather. It keeps setting my location to Frankfurt, Germany. I am in new jersey (about 10 min outside of philadelphia,pa). Yesterday it was 90 and sunny and the phone said it was 72 and cloudy...It doesnt seem to be a constant problem bc it often says my home town or where I am but It seems atleast once a day or every other day I'm back to Germany. If I force refresh it still wont leave Germany. I always have to correct time and date just the location and weather...This isnt a major problem just a little annoying...

23. k408

k408 Active Member

wow....still no fix for this issue? :confused::confused::confused: