• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Clockwork Mod and the Root of the Question

whistlebird

Lurker
Mar 25, 2012
I purchased a mint DroidX from a friend of mine that rooted the phone, and every time I would turn it on, it would boot to the CWM 2.5.0.6 recovery screen.

I found this to be annoying but he told me it was a good thing. I did some research and found that if you wanted to avoid this screen and boot directly into the Droid GUI, that I had to purchase Droidx Boostrap Recovery from the Market, and it would stop this from happening.

Moreover, to get the latest version of CWM, I would have to install ROM Manager from the Market. I flashed the latest version of CWM from ROM Manager.

Here is a couple of other things that I noticed:

Whenever I charge the battery while the phone is off and turn it back on, it boots to the older CWM 2.5.0.6. Even though ROM Manager flashes the latest, the phone always defaults to this older one unless I request CWM through ROM Manager.

To stop CWM from always loading first, I always have to press the button on Droid X Bootstrap Recovery, Bootstrap Recovery, and then everything reverts to normal startup each time without CWM appearing.

Is all this behavior normal when CWM is installed on a phone? I like being rooted, and what apps I have been able to install from the Market but this CWM has me puzzled?

I thought if I select Advanced Options in CWM that there was a setting to prevent this but when I click on Recover Now in that menu, the phone rebooted, and a little Android appeared with an exclamation mark symbol in a triangle. I had to remove the battery to clear this and the phone started normally without CWM.

Right now, after having pressed Bootstrap Recovery Button, all is normal.

Is this the way it is going to be?

Finally, if all else fails, is there a simple way to remove CWM without unrooting the phone? Is there a free program available that can remove CWM, unroot, and restore all the original settings? I have looked but cannot find any?

I do not want to do this but I am very frustrated. Aside from CWM, the phone operates fantastically. I just need someone to explain to me whether the behavior that I am seeing is normal when CWM is installed on a DroidX.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones