Clockwork Recovery-always getting MD5 Checksum error

Last Updated:

1. markc2

markc2 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Greetings. I've searched but haven't found this specific issue. Using Rom Manager, Clockwork recovery, on any rom, currently Pete's V1. I have yet to successfully restore a previously backed up rom without getting the MD5 checksum error. I've tried both from inside Rom Manager, manage backups, and booting into recovery and hitting the backup directory. File names are left at default, as 2010-05-02-02.42.46. Frustrating as I wind up having to start from scratch if a rom install fails. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Couple of suggestions:

-Make sure you have the latest Clockwork recovery (update using ROM manager)
    -Make sure your SD card isn't corrupt or going bad (maybe copy the files you need off of it and reformat it?)

3. markc2

Thanks but both done. I keep the program updated and just recently swapped out the SD card at Verizon as I kept getting boot loops resulting from data corruption. (pulled the card, copied off data, reformatted). Oddly enough, the last two times there was corruption (of 4 or 5 instances) it was in the MyBackupPro directory. I haven't tried MyBackupPro since getting the new SD card.

Before writing this e-mail I used Rom Manager (free version) to backup the rom, and while writing this response I tried restoring it, and get "MD5 mismatch!" Crap :mad:

4. s1ckGhost

s1ckGhost Well-Known Member

Ok...so this exact issue has happened to me and I posted a thread.. and I didnt get a single response lol.... but I did find a 'fix'.. iiii deleted the backup... and I had to restart a new one.. apparently in the same instance of this happening, my root broke as well, SU was not allowing me to enter any root app. Forced into Recovery loaded up the rom again and mismatch... I had to delete it.. and then I loaded up another rom.. and that mismatched..every single one of my backups mismatched.. I could not load up any rom..Root literally broke.. and I didnt know what to do, and since i had the time, i flashed back to 2.0.1 im not exactly sure what happened, but this happened under Cyno rom. and i guess it 'corrupted' all other backups in ROM Manager and yup.. if you can find a fix that is actually a fix.. the kudos ..if not.. RSD Lite lol

5. irishpride

irishpride Well-Known Member

Have you tried SPRecovery?

6. markc2

Thanks for the thoughts. Maybe I'll delete all backups just for kicks, and if that fails, try SPRecovery.

7. markc2

Update - deleting old backups didn't work, with a new backup I still get checksum error. Guess next time I switch roms, if ever as BB v1 is great, I'll have to switch to SPRecovery. Probably should anyway just to have a clean backup if needed.

8. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

have you tried reflashing clockwork?

9. markc2

Yes, both previously by way of re-installing Rom Manager from the market, and just now, no joy, thanks anyway.

10. markc2

Does anyone think there would be much difference if I re-formatted the SD card from inside the phone instead of using an SD card reader attached to the PC? Like maybe most functions work with a card out of the box but clockwork is a little more picky?

11. markc2

Update - I tried going back to SPRecovery, got stuck at the M, booted into programming mode, (down volume and camera), got the black screen with text, exited that and it somehow solved the stuck at M problem.

Used this procedure..... checking MD5 sum - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum which corrected the MD5 backup and let me restore.
    Not perfect but since SPRecovery failed at least I can get to a decent backup.

12. devinhfox

devinhfox New Member

Make sure the rom name does not have a space in it.