Clockwork Recovery Getting You Down?

Last Updated:

1. savoxis

savoxis Well-Known Member Developer This Topic's Starter

Ok, so to start off let me go into detail with my personal experience with the Rom Manager and ClockworkMod applying Velocity .2:

After getting my phone up and running with the new Velocity .2 (Don't forget to tell Trident how awesome he is) I decided to get my girlfriends Ally going with it as well. Her Ally had Drellisdee's 1.2.2 Recovery already installed so I tried to apply the ROM via that, I was halted by a signature verification error. No big deal, I just flashed it with ClockWorkMod on my own Ally so I downloaded the RomManager to go about using the other Recovery.
    After installing the ROM Manager I tried to flash the recovery, it requested SU Permissions which I allowed then it force closed. I reopened the program then flashed the recovery again with no errors. I then downloaded the Velocity .2 ROM from the manager and attempted to apply.
    First thing I noticed is the manager did not give me an option to clear Dalvik Cache. I tried to proceed anyway. When the phone rebooted it got stuck on the LG Logo, scary, very scary. I pulled the battery, held SEND MENU END, and again, got stuck at the LG Logo. Pulled the battery again, powered on normally and it booted up (not to recovery though) so I ended up flashing the ClockWork Recovery manually.
    After I got it on there via adb and flash_image I was able to successfully boot into recovery. Wipe Data/Cache/Dalvik and apply Velocity .2 and Drellisdee's OC kernel. Everything worked famously and after about 3 hours of WTF moments, my girl was back online.

If you are having similar problems try these tips:
    If you already have the ClockworkMod Recovery flashed to your phone (You can test this by rebooting your phone with the SEND MENU END buttons held down) you can apply the ROM from the clockwork recovery manually, it is IMO easier than using the ROM manager. Just:
    Power the phone off.
    Hold SEND MENU END to power the phone on
    You should be in recovery.
    Select Backup and Restore, and make a backup of your existing settings
    Select wipe data/factory reset
    Select Wipe cache partition
    Select advanced -> Then wipe dalvik cache
    (If you don't have the Velocity .2 zip on your SDCard already)
    Select mounts and storage -> mount USB storage
    Hook the phone up to your PC and copy the zip for the ROM to your sdcard
    In recovery go back to the main menu
    Select install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from sdcard
    Select the Velocity .2 ROM (or any other ROM) and apply.

If you cannot get clockwork recovery installed via rom manager you will need to flash it manually. If you tried to download it with Rom manager it will be on your sdcard in \clockworkmod\download\koush.tandtgaming.com\recoveries\recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.5-aloha.img you will need to use Drellisdee's instructions on flashing custom recovery and use recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.5-aloha.img to flash rather than Drellisdees

Advertisement
    jamesnmandy likes this.
  2. GRZLA

GRZLA Well-Known Member

I'm going to vouch for this. When installing from directly within ROM Manager there is no option to clear Dalvik cache. Its best to download the rom from direct download, then transfer it to your SD card via your pc.

3. flick159

flick159 Well-Known Member

Why not going into Drellisdee's recovery and toggle signature verification? Easier than taking all the steps you did.

4. savoxis

savoxis Well-Known Member Developer This Topic's Starter

Good call, it was late wasn't thinking straight

5. flick159

flick159 Well-Known Member

Fair enough, just curious.

6. PowerBomb

PowerBomb Well-Known Member

ROM Manager caused the most problems with my Velocity process as well. Rooted my phone with Universal Androot, got ROM Manager, and started to flash clockwork recovery. Towards the end of the download/install whatever, I got a force close message, told it to wait a couple times, and it finally went through. Went to make a backup of my stock ROM, the phone restarted, showed a quick "!" picture, and rebooted normally. Went to check my backups folder, nothing was saved. Finally got a backup after a few tries. I had the direct download of Velocity on my SD, told ROM Manager to install it, same thing, phone turns off, "!", reboots, nothing different.

Told ROM Manager to reboot into recovery, cleared data (factory reset), cleared cache, went into "Advanced" and cleared dalvik cache, told it to install ROM from SD, finally worked.

7. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Seems like ROM manager not fully flashing the clockwork recovery and/or not deleting the dalvik cache before flashing is the culprit of the issues coming about with Velocity.

8. boomer187um

boomer187um Member

Also you can download via rom manager, then quit the app once it wants to start the install. move the downloaded zip to the root of my sd, and boot to clockwork via rom manager.

works for since i have limited pc access