clockwork recovery questions specific to GalaxyS

Last Updated:

1. opticalc

opticalc Member This Topic's Starter

I am able to get to standard 2e recovery mode and also to the download mode on my unlocked/unbranded/rooted 2.1 i9000t - I created a backup on the builtin SD card using clockwork and I noticed the backup is not in "update.zip" format which worries me...is it possible to boot to the CW recovery directly from poweroff?

Im worried that while trying to customize/upgrade that if I screw things up that I may get my phone in a non-bootable state where I cannot even enter the CW program in order to restore.

How can I make a complete update.zip version backup of my phone that I can restore using regular 2e recovery mode?

Advertisement
  2. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

You should be able to get to recovery or download mode from a power off. If not then your phone is defective and you should be very careful doing any flashing. Suggest not doing flashing until you get it replaced.

The backups are not in update.zip format, they are meant to be restored via the same CW recovery. So of course you must be able to get to CW from power off.

3. opticalc

opticalc Member This Topic's Starter

ah... i see how the update.zip cw puts on sd makes cw boot up, then you can put in whatever .zip you want. slick. Thanks!

so does a CW backup completely back up PDA, MODEM, and CSC data? I ask because I have a latin american i9000t with brazilian PDA/MODEM/CSC loaded and it works great here in the US on AT&T's 3G triband (850/1900/2100) network. I just dont know if by loading other custom ROMS out there that those custom ROMS include radio data incompatable with my phone (my phone has the same exact 3G/WCDMA/UMTS/HSPA triband radio that the US/AT&T/Captivate does. Pretty much all other i9000s out there have different radios than mine and Im trying to be extra careful here that if a custom cooked ROM DOES mess up my radio that a CW rstore will fix it back.

4. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

I can't say for sure but I don't think the radio is part of the backup but it might. On other phones I've done the radio is not part of the backup. The roms out there may or may not include a radio but you always have the option to flash a specific radio after flashing a rom. Best advice is to keep a radio image available for flashing should you need it. But again, don't do any of this unless you can boot to CW from a power off. Pretty slick how it does that, it actually boots twice to get to CW which allows a factory rom to still get into CW. (don't loose that CW update.zip, make a backup in case another app overwrites it)