• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root clockworkmod 3.x

Replace the current 2.5.1.2 with 2.5.1.4 as CM7 does requires CWM3.x just because you were able to flash it don't mean anything.

Actually, it does mean something. It means that it works. I also flashed #32 with 2.5.1.2.

The new method has nothing to do with Gingerbread, though it is coincidental that most GB ROMs going forward will use it. Team Douche has even on on record saying that they will be requiring CWM3 in the near future. However, it's not required as of build #33. That's confirmed.

Upvote 0
When you have phantom issues as posted by so many folks don't clog up the faq threads later on asking what went wrong. As /data may not be overwritten, the permission base may not be allocated and countless other issues attributed, as allocating ext4 and bootloop issue with voltage counter in kernel. Which was never linked directly to CWM but it seemed people with curtain variables are more likely to reproduce dose factors. Just cuz you can fit a fat guy in a small car does not mean it was optimized for him. When he hits a brick all and smash it see how that works out for him LOL. I know this as I live in XDA, also what is big deal about flashing 2.5.1.4? its very easy to flash it va console using flash recovery.img if that don't work then use CWM3.0.0.7 and change it to 2.5.1.4 from 2.5.1.2

Upvote 0
Is anyone else having problems running a Nandroid backup with the new clockworkmod release. Mine keeps freezing in random places. I have tried several times now. Each time I have to pull the battery.

Also it's not because I didn't let it try long enough. I watched an entire movie this last time and it got stuck on com.htc.musicwidget.odex or something like that. After I flashed to an older version of clockworkmod I can run all the backups I want just fine.

Upvote 0
How did it erase some of the rom? if you did not do full wipe? Well no worries so what you are saying is when you try to flash rom it gets stuck? if so do you have sdcard reader? you can flash older cwm or if you can't even use cwm then download the stock recovery.img and place it on your sdcard and when you go in to bootloader it will scan it and go though the process. Keep in mind if you flash stock rom it will also flash stock radio and revert root security so you will have to root again. I say before you do that you try to install the new rom though cwm again if not then go with recovery image.

Upvote 0
When you have phantom issues as posted by so many folks don't clog up the faq threads later on asking what went wrong. As /data may not be overwritten, the permission base may not be allocated and countless other issues attributed, as allocating ext4 and bootloop issue with voltage counter in kernel. Which was never linked directly to CWM but it seemed people with curtain variables are more likely to reproduce dose factors. Just cuz you can fit a fat guy in a small car does not mean it was optimized for him. When he hits a brick all and smash it see how that works out for him LOL. I know this as I live in XDA, also what is big deal about flashing 2.5.1.4? its very easy to flash it va console using flash recovery.img if that don't work then use CWM3.0.0.7 and change it to 2.5.1.4 from 2.5.1.2

CWM 2.x and 3.x each use a different update script that is wholly incompatible. There is no partial computability. It either works or it doesn't. When CWM3 is required for use, CWM2 will NOT work for flashing, period.

So, please don't go around telling people that they NEED to have CWM3 for CM7, because until Cyanogen says it's needed, it's not.

Upvote 0
my rom mgr had the new 3.0.0.5 cwm available for update, so i updated it.
Problem is some roms are not flash able with the new cwm. I tried to flash Re-Engineered 2.3 and it was a no go, flash was aborted and specifically said there is a conflict between my .zip and cwm
So I guess some of the dev's need to find a fix.
I was able to flash skyraider with no problems, So I guess its only certain roms
Ken

Upvote 0
Let me try to put things in perspective or at least the way I see it.

Most current ROM installs and add-on zip files like kernels are based on Amen scripts (update-script). The new scripts are Edify scripts (updater-script & bin).

All Android OS builds going forward are going to require Edify scripts so ClockWorkMod is getting ready for that

So what works?

Amen scripts (Old)
Work on CWM v2
Will not work on CMW v3

Edify scripts (New)

Works on CWM v3
Will sometimes work on CWM v2

So,

1) ROM's and update zip's like kernels built with Amen scripts will not work on CWM v3 and will simply tell you they are not compatible with CWM v3.

2) ROM's built with Edify scripts will more than likely not work on CWM v2 and will either fail or look like they installed but not boot

3) Update zip's like kernels built with Edify scripts may actually work on CWM v2 since they are very simple scripts and partially built into later versions of CWM v2.

One way to find out for sure before you try it is open the zip file and look in

META-INF/com/google/android/

and
1) If it is just 1 file (update-script) then it is Amen (CWM v2)
2) If there are 2 files (updater-script and update-binary) then it is Edify (CWM v3)

If you are on CWM v3 and need to install something from v2 (Amen) then use ROM Manager to go back to 2.5.1.2. Then after your install you can use the ROM Manager to get back to 3.0.0.5

My Business Sense ROM currently has a version for each but going forward I will only provide Edify scripts since it is a pain to do both. Plus I hate getting the v3 is available message every time I start ROM Manager.

I hope this helps a little

Upvote 0
Let me try to put things in perspective or at least the way I see it.

Most current ROM installs and add-on zip files like kernels are based on Amen scripts (update-script). The new scripts are Edify scripts (updater-script & bin).

All Android OS builds going forward are going to require Edify scripts so ClockWorkMod is getting ready for that

So what works?

Amen scripts (Old)
Work on CWM v2
Will not work on CMW v3

Edify scripts (New)

Works on CWM v3
Will sometimes work on CWM v2

So,

1) ROM's and update zip's like kernels built with Amen scripts will not work on CWM v3 and will simply tell you they are not compatible with CWM v3.

2) ROM's built with Edify scripts will more than likely not work on CWM v2 and will either fail or look like they installed but not boot

3) Update zip's like kernels built with Edify scripts may actually work on CWM v2 since they are very simple scripts and partially built into later versions of CWM v2.

One way to find out for sure before you try it is open the zip file and look in

META-INF/com/google/android/

and
1) If it is just 1 file (update-script) then it is Amen (CWM v2)
2) If there are 2 files (updater-script and update-binary) then it is Edify (CWM v3)

If you are on CWM v3 and need to install something from v2 (Amen) then use ROM Manager to go back to 2.5.1.2. Then after your install you can use the ROM Manager to get back to 3.0.0.5

My Business Sense ROM currently has a version for each but going forward I will only provide Edify scripts since it is a pain to do both. Plus I hate getting the v3 is available message every time I start ROM Manager.

I hope this helps a little

Nice explanation, Thanks
The one big problem I am having is I Cannot revert back to the any 2x clockwork recovery's, no matter what 2x I try to flash I get the "AN ERROR OCCURRED FLASHING"

Ken

Upvote 0
If you have a working ROM then flashing recovery 2.5.1.2 with ROM Manager should work. Is that what is failing on you?

^^^

2.5.1.2 should work. I would try this one again. It is on the bottom of the list in ROM Manager. All the others but this one failed for me with the same error message when I tried to go back to an older version.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones