• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ClockworkMod Based Recovery v6.0.3.7 for Prevail2/Ring

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsrntxf98k2re4y/SPH-M840_MH5_Stock.zip

Download this, unzip it and load the .tar into odin. Put your phone into download mode and flash it to your phone.
I was in the same spot you were in a few days ago. I managed to fix it by skiping the recovery flash step and went straight to downloading the os. It was at the cost of a few things that didn't download to my sd card though, but at that point, I figured it was better than calling Samsung and telling them that I corrupted the stock os. ^.^

Upvote 0
whats up you all my phone needs the recovery.tar too I see Wolfie put a tar in the dropbox sad thing is when i go there it says there is nothing here

That's odd. But that's the stock OS .tar, not the recovery. I attached the recovery.tar to this post in a zip file.

Edit: So I went lurking through the Galaxy Ring forum and found the trick to getting the recovery to stick without having to delete recovery-from-boot.p. I knew you had to get into recovery mode after flashing before it got overwritten again, but I kept letting the phone reboot completely. Naw, figured out that I had to take the battery out right after the first Samsung logo and then boot into recovery. Anyway, it stuck permanently, so I can stop complaining now. ^.^

Attachments

• CWM_Prevail2_Ring_Koumajutsu.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 354
Upvote 0
Nevermind, put the tar file in bootloader and installed. Then pulled the battery before it rebooted, then held vol up & pwr to start recovery and it popped up. Should be a sticky on this since there isn't really much in the way of details on this :) Hope this helps others

Thank you for this. I've never used odin before, and a roommate wanted me to root her phone and debloat it but I dont mess with a phone like that without cwm, and this was exactly what I was looking for. Can't believe there's no proper instructions for this. :( I only found one which was on the unlocker, but there's no comments verifying the process. This phone is pretty popular, but the lack of proper instructions for most things in the prevail 2 root forum is probably slowing development. People NEED to know how to get cwm in their phone at the very least. Here's the link to the unlocker instructions if anyone wants to see them or possibly verify this or rewrite it here on the forums, that would be great I think.
How to Install Custom Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2 | TheUnlockr

Upvote 0
I'll get some screenshots up ASAP
2d0g8b8.png

What's up with the recovery.log error? I'm getting that too. I'm also in a soft brick. If you could help me out. I've been without my cell for a week and it's killing me. Here's my issue--->

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-prevail-2/873762-help-prevail-ii-sph-m840-in-soft-brick.html

Upvote 0
my stock rom stopped working used this forum and others to help but ended up having to use the ring OS (Virgin Mobile) and it keeps wanting to update and when i do it blue screens and i have to reload the os with odin. i found a link for the stock os but it didn't work. anyone got a link that does or a place where i can find it

P.S. A link for a OS that will work well with my boost prevail 2 would be okay as well.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, Koumajutsu here.

I have the first build of CWM for our phone. It's nearly complete but quite usable. The only things missing are ADB and I cheated a little in supporting the internal sdcard which may lead to issues if an update.zip wipes /data.
EDIT: looks like ADB works in windows, but not in Linux

(Turns out the internal SDcard is actually a folder in /data)

This works on the Prevail 2. It is untested on the Ring but should work.

I don't have a good screenshot as of this moment, nor a good copy of Odin to use bundled with it. Heimdall works great though :)

here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0b3hr8t14p2p1e/CWM_Prevail2_Ring_Koumajutsu.tar

Thanks go to Koush for supplying the source.
Shabbypenguin for helping me where I got stuck, supplying me with my initial device tree, and helping me deal with fstab issues.
And to OUDHitsquad for motivating and listening to me vent.
I downloaded and its corrupt, now what?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones