• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ClockworkMod Recover Vs. Amon Ra

Brian Rubin

Android Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hey y'all, how are ya? I'm writing because I wanna flash a new ROM onto my EVO, and have read reports that some folks prefer Amon Ra over ClockwordMod. However, using Amon Ra doesn't allow many of the features in ROM Manager, which the Cyanogen guys recommend using, it seems.

That being said, what do y'all think would be better for me? ClockworkMod or Amon Ra in terms of stability, ease of use and so on?

Thanks!

Hey y'all, how are ya? I'm writing because I wanna flash a new ROM onto my EVO, and have read reports that some folks prefer Amon Ra over ClockwordMod. However, using Amon Ra doesn't allow many of the features in ROM Manager, which the Cyanogen guys recommend using, it seems.

That being said, what do y'all think would be better for me? ClockworkMod or Amon Ra in terms of stability, ease of use and so on?

Thanks!

For users new to flashing ROM's and who aren't use to navigating through recovery, I would definitely recommend using ROM Manager at first. There have been known wiping issues (not fully wiping dalvik-cache if at all) with Clockworkmod recovery (which is the recovery ROM Manager uses/needs to operate), which are non-existent with Amon RA. Also, all versions of Clockworkmod before 3.0 (the new version is supposed to now backup wimax and RSA keys) don't backup your wimax and rsa keys....Amon RA does. Me personally, have never had issues using Amon RA, EVER, that I've come across using Clockworkmod. I've had issues flashing ROM's, wiping dalvik-cache, and restoring nandroid backups using Clockworkmod. So with that being said, I don't ever see myself using Clockworkmod as long as I'm able to do everything I need to do in recovery using Amon RA. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I would create a backup of your current setup, then attempt to flash a zip through recovery instead of via ROM Manager. The recovery that you use doesn't matter so much right away, but once you play around in the recovery menu, you will get an idea of what does what. If you learn it in Clockwork, you will still be able to easily figure out Amon. They are pretty similar. I stopped flashing zip files in ROM Manager after about a week, then a while later switched to Amon. It is just as easy and more hands on to do it in recovery, I think. Good luck.

Upvote 0
K, apparently at the time this fiasco happened (wherein Amon RA couldn't restore a NAND backup), Amon RA 1.8.0 was messed up on the EVO, and now there's a newer version, 2.1.1. I'm currently using ClockworkMod 2.6.0.1 through ROM Manager though.

That being said, which one do y'all think would be the better one to use? I'm wary of Amon RA after I couldn't flash a ROM or restore a backup through it last week, however.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones