• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ClockworkMod Recovery [For Motorola Triumph]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I`ve been following these threads since their conception, and have been fiddling with phone for a while. I have no experience in the dev side of things, but put forth my respect and gratitude to you trailblazers. It was sort of funny I just happen to be on ubuntu laptop this morning when I saw the news on accessing all the mounts. I will be testing the CWM build and anything else that may come along in the near term. I look forward to this newest recovery.img soon

Upvote 0
Great jobs guys!!! And issac i never had a doubt you couldn't work your magic on the triumph! Knew it was going to take some time. And yes once you(or another dev) Get the kinks out of CWM. Then we can make a backup of the rom and atleast have SOME kind of custom stockish rom! But once we get the kernal source from motorola. I see 1.3 to 1.4ghz OC kernals in the future!!!! And for you UV guys KILLER battery life!!!! Come on MOTOROLA!

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I put together a Triumph 1st ROM FAQ, so the people-in-the-know (tm) don't get bogged down answering the same things over and over. And so the forums don't get clogged by the same.

Since I'm lazy, but don't want it to get too messy, I'd like to make editing available to the helpers isaacj87 mentioned in his "Great news" clockworkmod announcement - so contact me if interested for the password stuff. (google docs allows multiple simultaneous editors, so I guess we'll see how well that works.)

Reactions: blbeach
Upvote 0
Hey guys, I put together a Triumph 1st ROM FAQ, so the people-in-the-know (tm) don't get bogged down answering the same things over and over. And so the forums don't get clogged by the same.

Since I'm lazy, but don't want it to get too messy, I'd like to make editing available to the helpers isaacj87 mentioned in his "Great news" clockworkmod announcement - so contact me if interested for the password stuff. (google docs allows multiple simultaneous editors, so I guess we'll see how well that works.)

foobarX,

Feel free to create a thread here with this info in the all-things-root forum and I'll sticky it for you. Might be easier for more folks to see.

Let me know if you do.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Alright, people. Let's get CWM working properly (or at least make sure it is working properly) and then I can move on to porting CM7 to the phone.

Here's what I'll need:

1) I need a user to run a nandroid backup (BUT DO NOT RESTORE) and upload the images (boot, data, system, etc.). I will disassemble them and make sure that nandroid is functioning correctly.

2) After I get a dump of system.img, I can dissect it and look at porting CM7 over to the Triumph. If Motorola does release the source code (either ROM or kernel), let me know so I can sift through it.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Okay so we have a mostly tested recovery thanks to tjstyle, isaacj87 (aka ikarosdev) was requesting the source to see if he could make his version work as we were able to boot to tjstyle's version which is a slightly older CWM source but all in all it appears tjstyle's is going to be what we are using for now!

a link to the post made by tjstyle's about his recovery for X6 variants: Kaskus - The Largest Indonesian Community - View Single Post - [OFFICIAL LOUNGE] CSL Mi410 aka Mia (OEM by FOXCONN)

a download link: cwm-recovery-fb0-v1.zip

the methods for putting this on the phone have already been outlined.. I put it to someone else to make the guide for all this.. may the rom dev frenzy begin!

me and danthemanohyea have both booted to this recovery, he tested further by backing up and restoring and testing a few wipes and such.

EDIT: actually just wrote up a quick guide for those unsure of how to go about getting this on the device: http://www.coderah.com/?p=368

Upvote 0
Okay so we have a mostly tested recovery thanks to tjstyle, isaacj87 (aka ikarosdev) was requesting the source to see if he could make his version work as we were able to boot to tjstyle's version which is a slightly older CWM source but all in all it appears tjstyle's is going to be what we are using for now!

a link to the post made by tjstyle's about his recovery for X6 variants: Kaskus - The Largest Indonesian Community - View Single Post - [OFFICIAL LOUNGE] CSL Mi410 aka Mia (OEM by FOXCONN)

a download link: cwm-recovery-fb0-v1.zip

the methods for putting this on the phone have already been outlined.. I put it to someone else to make the guide for all this.. may the rom dev frenzy begin!

me and danthemanohyea have both booted to this recovery, he tested further by backing up and restoring and testing a few wipes and such.

Great news! Thanks much for sharing. Just tested pushing the CWM recovery from tjstyle and backup worked fine!

Brief outline, gleaned from the Google Translated portion of this post:
  • Download and unzip recovery file onto PC
  • Power off Triumph
  • Connect Triumph to PC via USB (order not important, can plug in before powering off)
  • Hold Volume Down + Power
  • Screen now shows "Incoming Download Mode", repeating lines of "polling, get oemsbl_mode = 1"
  • PC should show new drive MOBILE (FAT partition) connected with 100 MB capacity with ~55 MB free
  • Within MOBILE, find and enter \image directory (there should be about 7 files, including "recovery.img")
  • Backup "recovery.img" (I renamed to recovery.old.img)
  • Copy "recovery.img" from previously downloaded CWM zip file
  • Power off Triumph (I pulled out battery, but perhaps a less invasive route exists)
  • Hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power
  • Voila! CWM v4.0.0.9 should have loaded!
  • Move up and down with Volume buttons, select with Power, back with Menu

Looking forward to some Gingerbread ROMs! Thanks to all the devs!

Upvote 0
Great news! Thanks much for sharing. Just tested pushing the CWM recovery from tjstyle and backup worked fine!

Brief outline, gleaned from the Google Translated portion of this post:
  • Download and unzip recovery file onto PC
  • Power off Triumph
  • Connect Triumph to PC via USB (order not important, can plug in before powering off)
  • Hold Volume Down + Power
  • Screen now shows "Incoming Download Mode", repeating lines of "polling, get oemsbl_mode = 1"
  • PC should show new drive MOBILE (FAT partition) connected with 100 MB capacity with ~55 MB free
  • Within MOBILE, find and enter \image directory (there should be about 7 files, including "recovery.img")
  • Backup "recovery.img" (I renamed to recovery.old.img)
  • Copy "recovery.img" from previously downloaded CWM zip file
  • Power off Triumph (I pulled out battery, but perhaps a less invasive route exists)
  • Hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power
  • Voila! CWM v4.0.0.9 should have loaded!
  • Move up and down with Volume buttons, select with Power, back with Menu

Looking forward to some Gingerbread ROMs! Thanks to all the devs!

Yep these are the steps, i had edited my post with a link to a guide I made but this is pretty much the same :)

Upvote 0
Alright, people. Let's get CWM working properly (or at least make sure it is working properly) and then I can move on to porting CM7 to the phone.

Here's what I'll need:

1) I need a user to run a nandroid backup (BUT DO NOT RESTORE) and upload the images (boot, data, system, etc.). I will disassemble them and make sure that nandroid is functioning correctly.

2) After I get a dump of system.img, I can dissect it and look at porting CM7 over to the Triumph. If Motorola does release the source code (either ROM or kernel), let me know so I can sift through it.

Thanks

:eek:

I can't wait! Is there a place where I can learn to be a ROM maker and help? I would love to help!

Upvote 0
My conversation with tjstyle via Github:

446febcf38ae1219e14a0ff1ef89e6d3

ikarosdev said about 10 hours ago:
Hey,
I've been working on porting CWM to the Motorola Triumph (another X6/A99/Mi-419 variant). You can see my attempts here: https://github.com/ikarosdev/android_device_motorola_triumph
Could you share your BoardConfig.mk, recovery.fstab that you used for this port: Kaskus - The Largest Indonesian Community - View Single Post - [OFFICIAL LOUNGE] CSL Mi410 aka Mia (OEM by FOXCONN)
Thanks,
Isaac

8001af17d253c62a16a27ed7ff7bed13

tjstyle said about 3 hours ago:

i will push the boardconfig soon, now i have little problem in my pc.
are you now on developing the FB0 variant too?

446febcf38ae1219e14a0ff1ef89e6d3

ikarosdev said 4 minutes ago:

Yes, I'm developing on this device: Android Video Chat Smart Phone - Motorola Triumph - Motorola Mobility, Inc. - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
I want to try and port CyanogenMod 7 to the device.

Once I get this information, I can start porting CM7 to the Triumph. I'll need a clean system.img from a nandroid backup.

Reactions: pre and chilito10k
Upvote 0
I'm a newbie, sorry for asking... but if it doesn't have any personal info I'll happily give it up!

No, there wouldn't be any personal info that got passed along. I forgot that when you do a factory wipe on a device, it only wipes the data and cache partitions. So I think you're good. Just as long as it's from a nandroid backup.

Reactions: BlackGravity
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones